What's new

$5,000 for Front and Center speakerss (1 Viewer)

Ramone

Auditioning
I recently had the opportunity to pick up a used Classe SSP75 and a few new Musical Fidelity M250 monoblocks. Now it's time for new speakers.

Just curious if any of you have either of these components and what speakers you might be using. I've got about $5,000 to spend.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Klipsch RF7's for the from ($750 for each), and a Klipsch RC7, can't get much better than that... especially for movies. Nice brighter speakers and they still give you the thumping bass, can't beat that really I think.

there are also alot of others out there.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Assuming that this amount of money means that you have an interest in music, and you have the space (height and width), you may want to give a listen to Magnepan 3.6's.

Doug

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any experience with those amps, but I think one of the best speaker set-ups for that kind of money is the Revel F-30 with the c-30 center. I did some listening to them (the f-30's) pair with Classe CAM-350 monoblocks--Awesome.

I personnally have Aerial 7B's with the CC3B center and SR3 Surrounds driven with a Classe CA-201 for the front L/R and a B&K Ref 7250 for the center, surrounds, and rears. If you can find them used on audiogon you could probably get into that price range for the front three as well.

I spent a long time comparing the Aerials to the Revels. It was a very tough call.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Ramone,

You need to decide what 'sound' you are looking (listening) for (dipole, bipole, direct radiator, ribbon drivers, electrostatic panel, etc., etc.).

If I was going to spend $5k on a commercial speaker then I would listen to Vandersteen and VMPS...

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'm with Greg.

I'm a V speaker supporter

Von Schweikert, Vandersteen, or VMPS.

I have a client out east, and I just sent a 3 speaker VMPS package just like that, to Rhode Island (how close are you to RI?;)) consisting of a pair of VMPS RM40s and the new Large Ribbon Center. The delivered price was well within your budget.

While you hear this said often, I have to say it would be hard to match at twice the price.

MikeJof

Auditioning
B&W Nautilus 803's used for 3500
B&W Nautilus HTM1 used for 1200

Classe' matches B&W VERY well.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
You need to decide what 'sound' you are looking (listening) for (dipole, bipole, direct radiator, ribbon drivers, electrostatic panel, etc., etc.).
I think that's the best advice any of us have given. At $5k, particularly if you are open to used, there are so many options that you have to narrow it down somehow.

Another way to think about it is, what type of music do you listen to? and is that really the most important thing or are you more interested in performance on movies?

When I went through this several months ago I narrowed it down to 4 speakers:

Revel F-30
Aerial 7B
B&W 803
Martin Logan Ascent

I liked all of them, but in the end it came down to what sounded best for the majority of the stuff I listen to and watch (IMHO). And also what sounded best IN MY ROOM!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
klipsch on musical fidelity and classe? cmon....

Lots of good suggestions, also try out dynaudios... :eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Alex F.

Second Unit
If your loudspeaker preference tends to the slightly warm side of neutral, as does mine, look into (in no particular order) Vandersteen, Polk LSi, Sonus-Faber (except, perhaps, Grand Piano Home), and Vienna Acoustics, among others.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks