4x3 tube HDTV vs 16x9 RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Jan 28, 2003.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Maybe I'll stir up the pot a little...[​IMG]

There's often debate among 4x3 vs 16x9 and tube vs rptv. But after watching the superbowl sunday there isn't much comparison at all for me.

My sony 36xbr450 (36" 4x3, tube) playing the superbowl in high defintion looked very good. Nice color, bright, etc, good detail.

Then I turned it on my mitsubishi 65819 (65", 16x9, RPTV) and WHOLLY MACKERAL! Talk about detail, color and brightness. It made me wonder why I even bought the sony at all.

The biggest difference by far was in the detail and 3d look, the ability to see very small items on the RPTV that weren't even visible on the 36". I'm talking getting my nose up to both screens. The mits looked like a window, the 4x3 looked like a high resolution tv.

To be fair both TVs have been extensively calibrated and tweaked by me - color decoder, geometry, greyscale, no SVM, etc. HDTV was received via two motorola 5100 STBs from cable, component cables were exact same models for each.

Anybody want to buy a 36" XBR hdtv or was I imagining the difference? [​IMG]

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Sony tube set was probably doing 750 lines ... aka a pixel array of 750 x 1080 while your Mits was doing 1200 x 1080.

More information displayed from the signal.

Regards

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

That could make sense.

But looking at the sony menus when in HD they seemed squeezed, similar to when the set squeeses a anamorphic DVD. I'll have to look more closely tonight. If the set is indeed squeezing the HD picture would it not contain all 1080 lines?

-edit- re-read your post Michael. You're talking about horizontal resolution so squeezing has nothing to do with it.