4th Oldest Man in the World Dies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Quillen, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Just happened to see this Yahoo headline. The story can be found HERE .

I'm a history major, and this just struck me as something kinda cool (not that this man died today, but that someone born in 1889 was alive for so long) - so I thought someone out there in the HTF might be interested in seeing this story.

To think of all the things that man must have seen and experienced in his 113 years here is crazy - this guy saw first hand everything that happened in America since before the 20th century! Amazing.

The fact that he passed away today is a real tragedy. Best wishes to his friends and family - I hope he was able to pass on the details of his life to them.

The article also mentions that the oldest living person is a woman in Japan born in 1887. Very interesting stuff.

JQ

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Actually, he didnt see everything. His eyesight failed him in the last few years.

Still...I am sure he had a great perspective on things.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In our History class we were talking about people who were among the oldest in the world and all the things they must have seen. It's very interesting, but you have to wonder if you would want to live that long, considering that you can't do much at that age.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    My grandfather was also born in 1889. He died in 1969 at the age of 80, and I thought that was "old age". But he died suddenly of a drug allergic reaction, and otherwise was a hale and hearty guy.....with my family background I'm shooting for 100+ myself.

5. andrew markworthy

My grandmother died aged 89 about 12 years ago. When she was a small child, she was introduced to an old man who could remember the celebrations after the Battle of Waterloo. Within the lifetime of that man's parents was, inter alia, the War of Independence. We're closer to the past than many people realise.

6. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I've always been fascinated by people who live to be 100+. It must be something else to see a whole century pass before you. Maybe someone here who will live to be 100 will get to see flying cars after all. [​IMG]

The women in my wife's family seem to all live to be at least 80. One of them is 93. Good for her. On the other hand, all my grandparents died fairly young. The oldest was I think 70. Not good. Fortunately, 3 of the 4 died of lung cancer since they were heavy smokers, and that is something I definately DON'T do, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

One of the things that struck me once while going through the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is that there's only about 65 years between the Wright Brothers and Neil Armstrong. There's lots of people who saw all of that.

In retrospect, you can look at how far the PC and internet have come in an even shorter period of time. Somehow, that doesn't quite have the dramatic impact of going from believing that only birds fly to seeing a man on the moon.

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Geez, this really makes me wanna call up my grandparents and ask them all kinds of questions about their past. It's pretty interesting stuff.

10. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

And if you're a black man in your 30's today, even your mother and father lived through some pretty life-changing stuff. Less than 40 years ago, which is just slightly older than some of our more prolific members here, some states actually regulated in which seat a black person had to sit when riding the bus, not to mention the restrictions on which schools they were allowed to attend, and other rights that they were denied. Many of the people who were in power then still have positions high up in society today.

As for computers, there have been threads here about "how life was before the Internet". IMO, the invention of the internet ranks up there with flight as far as its impact on society. I can't imagine that we could ever voluntarily go back to being without the internet. And we lived through that change. I bet people will talk about that just a few years from now. [​IMG]

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

13. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Every time I watch Star Trek, I wonder if we will ever develop enough as a civilization to reach that point. The elimination of war (with our own species), poverty, racism, most crime... Would be a nice world to live in!

What? You got something against Klingons?

Technology and computers will change the world more in the next 50-100 years than the Industrial Revolution, steam engine, trains, cars, or plans have over 200 years. Yes, and all of these things Ryan mentioned will be less of a concern, especially around the rest of the world that has some real problems with provertya nd racism.

Even 200-300 years out, our perception of things like the Enterprise will be passe.

14. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

I suggest you call your grandparents ASAP.

I no longer have mine and would love to be able to compile the sories of my two grandfathers;

Maternal; Radio Operator in Guadalacanal
    Paternal; Italian army conscript and POW in North Africa

The story of how these two men spawned children that would marry and give birth to me here in NYC is truly an 'Only in America' tale

BTW my GreatGrandmother (Nonna Donda) was born in Cufianno, Italy in 1898. She died in 1997 and in her life went from being the only person within 50 miles trained in using a hypodermic needle (they would come from everywhere for her to give shots), having her children delivered on the kitchen table by a midwife, and losing a grandson to the measles to living in NYC during the 1990's!

15. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Just want to concur with some of the other posters.

My Grandmother passed in Nov. 2001. She was born in 1919. I can only recall a few times that discussion veered from the mundane, day-to-day matters which we discuss with co-workers, siblings, neighbors, etc. and instead turned to the real and important recollections of a beautiful person who had experienced a great many events, small and large, wonderful and tragic.

I am the lesser for not recognizing the opportunity.

16. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Like Tommy said, call up your grandparnts and find out all you can.

my grandmother AND grandfather died within months of each other just a few months ago.

Luckily, i grew up with them and i she used to tell me all about her childhood and picking cotton and folklore, etc. etc.

She was born in 1913 and had lots of stories [​IMG] She died unexpectadly and thats my point.

Dont look for your grandparents or parents to wither away in a predicable manner. You can lose them suddenly before you think your ready.

17. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

My great grandmother was born in 1890. She emigrated from Ireland when she was 16 and lived to 100. Her last birthday was October 6th 1990. We had a huge party with all of her grandkids, great-grandkids and great-great grandkids. She received a birthday card from the President and Willard Scott mentioned her name on TV! She pased away in December of that year. She was a wonderful, amazing woman. I think about her often. I can still hear in my head the Irish brogue she carried with her even after living in the US for 84 years.