What's new

4ohm stable (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you're asking about receivers... I was going to say Acurus amps and Aragon amps are *at least* 4 ohm stable... :)

Brandon_M_S

Agent
hehe, ya, recievers. and should point out asking about the H/K avr-320, denon avr-1803, and onkyo tx-r600 models.
:confused:
brandon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I do have 1 data point. I have heard that H/K receivers are very conservatively spec'ed. It was either the 8000 or 7000 that was reviewed in S&V, and they said that it was was of the only receivers that they have ever reviewed that could do 100W per channel, *all* channels driven. Most receivers' power falls off as you drive more channels.

Shoot, and there was a thread somewhere talking about a receiver that had problems at 4 ohms... (The manual even recommended to *not* use speakers rated that low, and someone posted that it kept shutting off on them.) Maybe someone will post what the manufacturer was...

Yogi

Screenwriter
I know Denons are stable into 4 ohms, depending ofcourse on your speaker sensitivity, your listening SPL and receiver ventilation. Denon's web site FAQ states that their receivers shouldn't have a problem driving 4 ohm speakers within reasonable volume levels. I would think Onk and HK should also be stable given the above considerations. As long as your speakers are sensitive enough (>86 db/w/m) and your listening volumes are reasonable and as long as your receiver is well ventilated to dissipate the extra heat from driving your 4 ohm speakers, you shouldn't have a problem.

Best of luck.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Not a reciever, but I used to have an H/K Signature 2.1 amp. It drove 8 ohm Klipsch loads for several years with out a problem. Then just before I was about to sell it I hooked it up again to test its working status to my new 4 ohm speakers. It was going well at low volumes then I decided to turn it up a little closer to my average listening level, you know hadn't heard it in a while. Boom, there goes the left channel fuse, not exactly sure but more then likely this was just the amp saying I give on driving this load and thus protecting itself.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I know the Yamaha RX-Z1 & the Denon 5803 are rated down to 2 ohms, but those may be out of your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks