What's new

4ohm speakers with 8ohm receiver (1 Viewer)

Kevin.K

Auditioning
i have a Sony STR-DE895 rated 100Wx5 @8ohms. I've been having issues with getting the SPL meter to get consistent readings to tweak my system. I can't get the meter to register above 60db. I measured each of my speakers (definitive technology ProCinema 80 system) and they are all 4ohm. I am wondering if this is the main cause of my problem. i have tried many things on the receiver and nothing helps, even cranking all the levels.. thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would not use 4 Ohm speakers with any Sony DE receiver, but even with a 4 Ohm impedance, those speakers should not tax that receiver. Check to see if you have attenuation or some other dynamic range control "night" mode turned on.

Do you have them set to small or large? Are you using C weighting and slow response? Set to what dB range? Internal tone or using a calibration disc? How big is your room?

Kevin.K

Auditioning
firstly, thanks for the reply. again i've tried all the settings. small,large,dynamic range etc. the internal tone and Avia DVE. and the SPL settings you mentioned. i cannot get over 60-65db on the SPL.

i have a Yamaha RX-V995 in my living room (sadly only for 2 channel) that i can try. it has a 4-8 ohm switch. that way i can see if it is truly the receiver.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Im not trying to sound like an a$$. But try changing the batteries. Even if it reads as charged they may be dead. Its happened to me before. Or the unit could be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks