1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

4ohm/6ohm speakers and a/v receivers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Garrett V, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Garrett V

Garrett V Agent

AS my previous thead indicated, I am leaning toward B&W but plan on making a few more comparisons before final decision. I currently have a Onyko 575 receiver (70 wats per channel) and will probably upgrade in the near future to a Denon or Marantz 90W to 100W receiver. What is the minimum needed to drive these speakers for good performance or should I not even consider 4/6 ohm speakers given the receiver I have or plan to upgrade too? Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You might stress that amp a bit, if all the speakers were 6 and/or 4Ohm, but if it is only two or three, you should be able to get away with it (no guarantee) for a while. Realistically, you should get as much power as you can afford, and I am not just saying that. All of the Marantz models I've seen list a 6Ohm minimum, but all 3 of my mains are 4Ohm bookshelf speakers, and it did fine (SR8300). My suggestion might be to wait until you can get a new recever at the same time.