What's new

4ohm/6ohm speakers and a/v receivers (1 Viewer)

Garrett V

Agent
AS my previous thead indicated, I am leaning toward B&W but plan on making a few more comparisons before final decision. I currently have a Onyko 575 receiver (70 wats per channel) and will probably upgrade in the near future to a Denon or Marantz 90W to 100W receiver. What is the minimum needed to drive these speakers for good performance or should I not even consider 4/6 ohm speakers given the receiver I have or plan to upgrade too? Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might stress that amp a bit, if all the speakers were 6 and/or 4Ohm, but if it is only two or three, you should be able to get away with it (no guarantee) for a while. Realistically, you should get as much power as you can afford, and I am not just saying that. All of the Marantz models I've seen list a 6Ohm minimum, but all 3 of my mains are 4Ohm bookshelf speakers, and it did fine (SR8300). My suggestion might be to wait until you can get a new recever at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks