What's new

4K w/ HDR content HDMI issues (1 Viewer)

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of stepping into 4K, but not sure what is happening when HDR is added to the content and how video/audio is passed (and what level audio) when streaming from Apple TV or Directv or my 4K Oppo. I have a 1080 TV, soon to be projector with 4k HDR and a 4K(non HDR preamp). Let's say I watch Directv content that is 4K, but this show has HDR. What happens to the signal? Can I set my Directv to stream 4K, but non-HDR with full DSD audio? It seems the latest Apple TV can do that now. What if I have a 4K HDR movie in my Oppo. Will it output 4K non-HDR or do I have to go straight to source with HDMI? If not, are there now HDMI switches that can take up to 4K HDR content and send out 4K HDR to sources and HDMI DSD to preamp? I've seen where they do the coax out digital, but that is not the HD audio. I also assume I need the matrix to be able to send a separate 1080 signal to the TV for that viewing.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
The AVR or Pre/Pro you are going to be usingis going to be the biggest factor in many of your questions.

In the master bedroom, I have a LG65C7P.

I am using the the LG SJ9 5.1.2 Atmos Sound bar.

I am not using an AVR or Pre/Pro, just all the inputs plugged into display and XBox 360 for Windows Media Center Extender and an Oppo UDP-203

The LG has NetFlix and Amazon Prime built into the unit. The LG automatically detects if the signal coming in is encoded as HDR and changes modes. However, using Amazon Prime 4K, I have seen shows that come in changing the settings and others that do not. It isn't clear from the descriptions on Amazon Prime if those are HDR encoded or just 4K. I haven't come across any Dolby Atmos Amazon Prime titles yet, but all that come from the Oppo work as advertised.

If you haven't purchased a AVR or Pre/Pro yet, you would want to be forward thinking and make sure you get one with HDMI 2.1 support and then get the recent HDMI 2.1 cables that brings new features and a lot more bandwidth to the previous versions. Here are some data points for HDMI 2.1.
  • Improved bandwidth from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps (HDMI 2.1).
  • Can carry resolutions up to 10K, frame rates up to 120fps.
  • New cables required for higher resolutions and/or frame rates.
In regards to your previous question about 4K, HDR, or 1080P, content with Dolby Atmos or other technologies will work the same regardless of the native video format on disc or streaming.

Essentially, if you have a capable receiver and the HDMI "High Speed" cables (either with Ethernet or without Ethernet), there is no reason everything you have would work just fine. The only thing you would want to do on the video side is make sure that you have each input calibrated appropriately for the incoming signal (i.e. 1080P will have a different calibration than 4K HDR).

- kevin

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I think I about have it figured out. I don't think I'm going to worry about the HDR as the standard isn't quite solidified. All my connections are high speed already. The few times I have as 4k hdr movie from oppo, I'll send the hdmi right to the projector. Everything else I'll set to 4k non-hdr. Maybe as it gets settled, I'll get a switcher if I need to.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
I wouldn't worry about the various HDR standards that are being transmitted. Those are only as important as what the UHD HDR TV set that you purchase supports. I would encourage you to make sure you have a separate calibration for HDR and non HDR 4K content -- unless you want to spend thousands of $ on pattern generators and colorimeters, I would just hire an ISF certified calibrator to do the calibration for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks