What's new

4K Upgrades (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you want a player with Dolby Vision support right now, your options are limited. Oppo and LG are the only two I am aware of, and the LG has lots of issues. I think they pulled the DV firmware due to playback problems.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The new Philips 7502 player, like the LG, is promised a DOlby VIsion update by year's end, but it hasn't happened yet. Not only did the LG have the DV update pulled, but there are many complaints about its build quality.

So right this second, Oppo is the only DV game in town in terms of players.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah i'm not too concerned about it then.

Looks like this Sony is the way to go.

Somehow over the last 15 ish years I always end up with a Denon receiver and a Sony player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
At $150, the Sony is a fine stop gap until there are more options available with Dolby Vision support. I paid $270 for mine early this year, and plan on moving it to our master bedroom at some point when those options become available. Oppo makes excellent players, but their current UHD player costs quite a bit more than I ever spend on a disc player.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of the Oppos strengths that's often overlooked is how easy and cheap it is make the player region-free. A $58 kit that plugs into the RS-232 port and one USB port is all it takes. While the UDP-203 may be pricey to some, it's without a doubt the most versatile 4K player on the market and represents a great value if you leverage all of its capabilities.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Also, as I did, you can remove the Oppo player cover with just a regular screwdriver and install the region free kit inside (no dangling cables on the outside) very easily. Took me less than 10min.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, as I did, you can remove the Oppo player cover with just a regular screwdriver and install the region free kit inside (no dangling cables on the outside) very easily. Took me less than 10min.
Not always based on my previous experience with the Oppo 93.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Went ahead and bought the x800 from BB.
They have a deal that if you buy a $150 eGC you get a $15 eGC to use in December

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks