What's new

4K Upgrades (1 Viewer)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
That's the AVR-S930H which looks to be the 2017 model. I'm trying to confirm for the AVR-S930W which seems to be the 2016 model. That's the one I'm having trouble getting confirmation on

If it is a 2016 model you may be out of luck, I have the Marantz SR7010 which won't get the upgrade. Pretty ticked...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My 2015 Denon is out of the running too. Luckily the work-around is very simple if you have a 4K UHD player with dual HDMI outputs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Denon AVR-S930H is indeed a 2017 model, and it states on Denon's website that it will support Dolby Vision. From the overview:

The AVR-S930H is the most advanced Denon S Series home entertainment solution with a complete set of next-generation audio and video features. Thanks to the built-in HEOS wireless technology, you can stream and control all your local or online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the comfortable HEOS App. Create a stunning home theater experience with the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 3D surround sound decoders, and all the latest video technologies including Dolby Vision, HDR (High Dynamic Range) and 4K Scaling. With the second HDMI output, you can even enjoy AV sources in a another room.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Think I'm going to go with the Yamaha. It's confirmed that the RX-V681 is Dolby Vision compatible. Unlike the Denon and the Onkyo I was interested in Best Buy is carrying the Yamaha (I want to go with BB because I can exchange my credit card reward points for BB gift cards at a "fair" rate). It doesn't have as many HDMI inputs that I would have liked but I suppose if I get desperate, I can buy an HDMI switch.

However, a couple of questions about the HDMI inputs. Only 3 out of the six are shown (on the back of the receiver) to be HDCP 2.2. Can I assume that the rest of the inputs are at least 2.0 compliant (it's hard to get a straight answer on the specs). And as I understand the HDCP 2.2 spec is essentially an extra layer of copy protection security, but does that mean that only HDCP 2.2 can pass HDR or is that more at the studios discretion (kind of like how when HD was coming the studios technically had the ability to have an HD signal downrezzed over component cables, though no studio actually enforced it).

Also dumb question probably, but when it comes to HDR and HDCP 2.2, I assume any high speed HDMI cable will do the trick (i.e. I can buy $5 cables off of Amazon)?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also dumb question probably, but when it comes to HDR and HDCP 2.2, I assume any high speed HDMI cable will do the trick (i.e. I can buy $5 cables off of Amazon)?

For 4K and HDR, the cables must be certified high speed (18Gbps) - the certified spec is important. Some of the Amazon cables are not certified and have been causing issues for some people. Monoprice sells certified cables for a very reasonable price -- the 3 foot cables are only $3.59 each. I am using these cables for all my 4K connections and have no issues passing HDR from my Sony UHD player and Roku Ultra to my Vizio 4K display through my Denon X3300 AVR.

Reactions: PMF

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok so I think I'm pretty much done. Like I mentioned for the receiver, I went with the Denon and I have to Oppo supposedly being delievred today. Got a 65'' LG OLED for display (Thank you AMEX reward points). Only 4K Blu I have so far is "Logan" and "Planet Earth II" on its way for delivery tomorrow.

So how do I know if everything is working like it's supposed to with regards to HDR and all that. Any quick verification tests I could do?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Your display should have some sort of status/info button that you can bring on screen to see the resolution of the source, plus whether it's HDR or not. The Oppo should have a similar info display. Just play one of your UHD discs, and check both on the Oppo and LG that you are getting HDR and 2160p resolution.

Make sure you have the proper certified high speed HDMI cables from the Oppo to the Denon, plus from the Denon to LG display.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
If you want to play Dolby Vision discs though you will want one cable from the Oppo to the LG, and the second from the Oppo to the Denon. I don't believe and of the receivers have gotten the Dolby Vision update yet.

To agree with Scott make sure you are using 18GB certified cables (doesn't mean expensive). It will reduce your headaches a lot. I use Monoprice ones but there are lots of them out there.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Your display should have some sort of status/info button that you can bring on screen to see the resolution of the source, plus whether it's HDR or not. The Oppo should have a similar info display. Just play one of your UHD discs, and check both on the Oppo and LG that you are getting HDR and 2160p resolution.

Make sure you have the proper certified high speed HDMI cables from the Oppo to the Denon, plus from the Denon to LG display.

If you want to play Dolby Vision discs though you will want one cable from the Oppo to the LG, and the second from the Oppo to the Denon. I don't believe and of the receivers have gotten the Dolby Vision update yet.

To agree with Scott make sure you are using 18GB certified cables (doesn't mean expensive). It will reduce your headaches a lot. I use Monoprice ones but there are lots of them out there.

Thanks, I would expect there to be some kind of indicator, but some things I have read online suggest that between the player, receiver and the display there are some not so obvious settings that need to be tweaked to activate HDR (or at least get the full benefit from it)

As far as the cables, I did pick up a couple of certified HDMI cables. Currently I am running everything through the receiver (I know most, if any, receivers haven't gotten the Dolby Vision update yet, but since there's very little DV content out currently, I'm not too concerned about that at the moment.)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Thanks, I would expect there to be some kind of indicator, but some things I have read online suggest that between the player, receiver and the display there are some not so obvious settings that need to be tweaked to activate HDR (or at least get the full benefit from it)

One other way is when it is running in HDR mode the brightness (or whatever LG calls it) should go to 100 or max. At least that is what it does on my Samsung. Welcome to the wonderful world of 4K by the way!! Get ready to be addicted and surprised as you start your journey. The content coming out now is really starting to show the true power of HDR. One of my latest favorite demo titles now is "The Great Wall". The colors are stunning!

Here is a run down of this persons top 5 so far this year. I have 3 of them so far and agree.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yamaha was planning a firmware update, late 2017, to add Dolby Vision, HLG, Tidal and Deezer support to select 2016 receivers. My Aventage 3060 apparently is one of the lucky ones. Anyone know if they have put the update out or is it still vaporware at this time?

Enforcer5151

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Does anyone know of the Denon AVR-S920W is Dolby Vision capable. I thought I read it was but I'm now looking again and having a very had time validating.
Great news I came across this post a bit back when I was asking the same question.. I rebooted mu s920w today and yes! It is now dolby vision ready with the update today!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Great news I came across this post a bit back when I was asking the same question.. I rebooted mu s920w today and yes! It is now dolby vision ready with the update today!!

Hmm, curious, no update so far for me for the S930H. And I thought the 930H was a newer model than the Ws. Don't see anything on Denon's website either for my model (mine was recently updated for HLG though)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hmm, curious, no update so far for me for the S930H. And I thought the 930H was a newer model than the Ws. Don't see anything on Denon's website either for my model (mine was recently updated for HLG though)

Your 930H is a 2017 model, so it should have come with Dolby Vision support upon shipment -- no firmware update was required for the 2017 models for DV, just for HLG. It was the 2016 models which required a firmware update for DV. My X3300W, a 2016 model, received its update over a month ago, which included both DV and HLG support.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Your 930H is a 2017 model, so it should have come with Dolby Vision support upon shipment -- no firmware update was required for the 2017 models for DV, just for HLG. It was the 2016 models which required a firmware update for DV. My X3300W, a 2016 model, received its update over a month ago, which included both DV and HLG support.

Correct. However when I wasn't researching the specs said it was "DV Compatable" which suggests it didn't have DV out of the box

Any recommended DV test discs?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Correct. However when I wasn't researching the specs said it was "DV Compatable" which suggests it didn't have DV out of the box

Any recommended DV test discs?

My Sony UHD player doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I am probably not the best person to recommend a test disc. I only have a couple of UHD discs with DV encoding in my collection right now -- Cabin in the Woods and Kick-Ass. I've only viewed them with HDR10, though, so have no idea if DV is a significant improvement.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is the Sony x800 player still a good option.

It’s on sale at BB for $150 as a Black Friday deal.
Or is there a newer compatible available?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is the Sony x800 player still a good option.

It’s on sale at BB for $150 as a Black Friday deal.
Or is there a newer compatible available?
The X800 is still Sony's current model, and at that price quite a bargain. I am quite happy with mine. It does lack Dolby Vision support, but does a great job otherwise with UHD discs, plus is very good at upconverting BDs and DVDs. It also can play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs, which is a bonus.

I think the only player that can beat the Sony from a features and performance standpoint is the Oppo, and it costs $550 plus shipping.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh wasn’t aware of that .

Not that I’ll need it but I’m trying to future proof on all the new fangled stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks