4K Upgrades

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by WillG, Jun 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Supporting Actor
    Supporter

David Miller
    If it is a 2016 model you may be out of luck, I have the Marantz SR7010 which won't get the upgrade. Pretty ticked...

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    My 2015 Denon is out of the running too. Luckily the work-around is very simple if you have a 4K UHD player with dual HDMI outputs.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Denon AVR-S930H is indeed a 2017 model, and it states on Denon's website that it will support Dolby Vision. From the overview:

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Think I'm going to go with the Yamaha. It's confirmed that the RX-V681 is Dolby Vision compatible. Unlike the Denon and the Onkyo I was interested in Best Buy is carrying the Yamaha (I want to go with BB because I can exchange my credit card reward points for BB gift cards at a "fair" rate). It doesn't have as many HDMI inputs that I would have liked but I suppose if I get desperate, I can buy an HDMI switch.

However, a couple of questions about the HDMI inputs. Only 3 out of the six are shown (on the back of the receiver) to be HDCP 2.2. Can I assume that the rest of the inputs are at least 2.0 compliant (it's hard to get a straight answer on the specs). And as I understand the HDCP 2.2 spec is essentially an extra layer of copy protection security, but does that mean that only HDCP 2.2 can pass HDR or is that more at the studios discretion (kind of like how when HD was coming the studios technically had the ability to have an HD signal downrezzed over component cables, though no studio actually enforced it).

Also dumb question probably, but when it comes to HDR and HDCP 2.2, I assume any high speed HDMI cable will do the trick (i.e. I can buy $5 cables off of Amazon)?

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

For 4K and HDR, the cables must be certified high speed (18Gbps) - the certified spec is important. Some of the Amazon cables are not certified and have been causing issues for some people. Monoprice sells certified cables for a very reasonable price -- the 3 foot cables are only $3.59 each. I am using these cables for all my 4K connections and have no issues passing HDR from my Sony UHD player and Roku Ultra to my Vizio 4K display through my Denon X3300 AVR.

PMF likes this.
  6. WillG

WillG Producer

Went with the Denon AV-S930H