What's new

4K TV and Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
I’m thinking about buying a 4K TV but I just wanted to ask specifically what the differences are between them and a regular HD TV?

Do you have to have s 4K blu-ray player or will a regular one work for 4K blu-rays?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A regular Blu-ray player will play regular Blu-rays (which generally look fantastic on a 4K TV).

To play 4K discs, you must have a 4K TV, a 4K player, and a premium certified HDMI cable to handle the new 2.2 HDMI plugs.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
A regular Blu-ray player will play regular Blu-rays (which generally look fantastic on a 4K TV).

To play 4K discs, you must have a 4K TV, a 4K player, and a premium certified HDMI cable to handle the new 2.2 HDMI plugs.
Is the picture quality that much better with 4K?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That’s a loaded question.

Short answer is it is definitely better. Sometimes by a little. Sometimes by a lot. And very dependent on your hardware.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
PQ is relative to the quality of the transfer and that of the original material. If its an shot in IMAX production, yes it will be stunning. If it was a vintage 70s production which was processed and graded using rudimentary 70s tech and labwork then you might be wildly disappointed like some of the earlier adopters here.

Caveat emptor.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
I bought a 4K TV & 4K player today. I also bought “Frozen” and “The Princess and the Frog” 4K discs....I honestly can’t tell a difference between 4K and regular Blu-ray.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The reality is, you probably won’t, depending on the size of your display, which you didn’t specify. The biggest real world benefits of UHD is HDR, but you need a higher end 4K display to actually take advantage of it. I find HDR actually looks worse on my lower end 4K display. The other benefit of is more Atmos soundtracks, but you need a sound system capable of taking advantage of them.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
The reality is, you probably won’t, depending on the size of your display, which you didn’t specify. The biggest real world benefits of UHD is HDR, but you need a higher end 4K display to actually take advantage of it. I find HDR actually looks worse on my lower end 4K display. The other benefit of is more Atmos soundtracks, but you need a sound system capable of taking advantage of them.
My TV is 43”. I mean, it doesn’t look bad at all but I just can’t tell a difference.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A 43" TV will never allow you to actually see the additional resolution. Not by a long shot. The other benefits of UHD depend on other factors.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
As is being pointed out, you need a really big (high quality) screen to appreciate UHD. Unfortunately you then have to suffer the down-side of seeing your DVDs at their worst (all of their artifacts magnified).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I believe I can see a difference on my HD tv between UHD and HD when I watch a 4K disc from my 4K player on my 6 year old 80” tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks