What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

4K streaming (1 Viewer)

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
I'm trying to find out if my Sony Blu ray Player(S1700)

connected via HDMI to my new 4K TV can truly STREAM 4k from Netflix, Prime, etc.? Do I need a 4K Blu ray player to do this? Do I also need to consider a Fire-stick type of device or the 4k player gets the best picture? Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's an HD player. Not a 4K UHD player. So no, it certainly can NOT stream in 4K.

If you want a budget 4K streaming option, you probably want to go with Roku. If you want the best, premium, bullet-proof performance and quality, then an AppleTV 4K.

I don't recommend any player or TV for streaming, at least in the long term. Much better with a dedicated streaming device.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
It's an HD player. Not a 4K UHD player. So no, it certainly can NOT stream in 4K.

If you want a budget 4K streaming option, you probably want to go with Roku. If you want the best, premium, bullet-proof performance and quality, then an AppleTV 4K.

I don't recommend any player or TV for streaming, at least in the long term. Much better with a dedicated streaming device.
thanks for the swift reply! So you're saying get a streaming device over a 4k blu ray player?

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern

So finally doesn’t my new 4K TV upscale from the blu ray player? Thanks for everything!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. It can only display 3840x2160... period. So, when it's fed anything lower than that, it has to upscale it.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Yes. It can only display 3840x2160... period. So, when it's fed anything lower than that, it has to upscale it.
So since the picture quality is much better than 2K TV with my setup I AM getting an upscaled 4K picture which isn’t as good as a non upscaled one?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, upscale 2K is no better than HD. Not really, though no doubt someone will argue that. It’s just necessary to display it on the 4K display. It can look better simply if it’s a better TV, but it has nothing to do with the upscaling.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
With a standard Bluray player, the HD (2K) is upscled.to 4K to ensure it displays properly on the set, but you do not get any extra picture detail because the upscaling.is just an extrapolation. It is creating fill in data that.really isn't on the disc.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
With a standard Bluray player, the HD (2K) is upscled.to 4K to ensure it displays properly on the set, but you do not get any extra picture detail because the upscaling.is just an extrapolation. It is creating fill in data that.really isn't on the disc.
Thanks!👍

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
I’m only interested in streaming not playing discs!
The same would apply to HD streams from your blue ray player since it is not a 4K player.

Frankly, for a couple of hundred.dollars an Apple TV4K would take full advantage of the 4K set when UHD streams were available and it offers access to numerous streaming sites, assuming that you are willing to pay for them.

Edit: Deleted off topic quote.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just remember that you'll probably need to plan on paying somewhat more to get actual 4K content.

For instance, w/ the new price hike, Netflix is charging $20+tax for 4K/HDR streaming (even though not all their content are in true 4K/HDR). Their HD service will be $15.50+tax.

Some streaming services currently have extremely little, if any, 4K/HDR content... and most likely you're see more diff from HDR than 4K resolution itself (unless you have a big projection setup)...

Also, you might need to get new HDMI cables to handle 4K/HDR properly, if your current/existing ones are rather old and/or fairly long runs...

What new 4K display do you actually have? It might actually come w/ decent built-in streaming apps that could work well enough for you until you're ready to buy a dedicated streaming device...

What's the rest of your setup? Do you use an AV receiver w/ decent surround setup? OR just a soundbar or no additional sound setup at all? IF the latter, you might be happy enough w/ whatever streaming apps built into the new TV for a good (maybe long) while... but if you have a fuller setup w/ AV receiver that you route the AV signal thru and it's an old setup (that predates 4K), you might actually end up needing to upgrade the AV receiver too...

_Man_

Last edited:

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
The same would apply to HD streams from your blue ray player since it is not a 4K player.

Frankly, for a couple of hundred.dollars an Apple TV4K would take full advantage of the 4K set when UHD streams were available and it offers access to numerous streaming sites, assuming that you are willing to pay for them.
Thanks for your advice!👍
If you're looking to get Netflix in 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on a "budget" streaming device, look no further:

This is Roku's lowest priced device that has Dolby Vision.

funny, I am considering this.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Before buying a 4K streaming player make sure you have a spare HDMI input, sufficient internet bandwidth (I believe 4K requires 4x the bandwidth of a regular 2K HD stream) and, if required, a recent (and/or short) good quality HDMI cable. Make sure the player supports original frame rate mode (when available from the streaming provider). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chantalc
Recent bookmarks