1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

4K/region-free blu model, vendor recommendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Peter McM, Jan 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Peter McM

Peter McM Screenwriter

Peter
    I'm on the cusp of having to replace my ten-year-old Samsung bluray player (which always was a slow loader, anyway). I want my new player to be ready for an eventual upgrade to 4K from my last-generation Mitsubishi DLP I still use and enjoy. I've read that to get a true all-region bluray player I should look online. I get ads on my Facebook feed for 220-electronics.com Anybody have any experience with them?

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Both they and Bombay Electronics are highly regarded for modified players. I did mine myself so I don’t have firsthand experience but I’ve sent friends to both.

3. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    I echo @Josh Steinberg recommendations as I’ve dealt with both Bombay Electronics and 220 Electronics as I now have a total of 3 region free players:
    Sony BDP-7200
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony UBP-X800M2

I give a special kudos to 220 Electronics for their help in updating the firmware on the X700. The online update from Sony kept failing and I suspected it had to do with the region free mods. 220 emailed me a modified firmware update and everything went smoothly.

Josh Steinberg likes this.