What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I have a 106" screen for my projector. Do you think that 4K televisions might reach that size before the 4K projectors become affordable and feasible?

I once thought that I was projector for life in home theater, because of the size. But with 4K and HDR keeping projectors so high, it makes me wonder if I might live with a 95" UHD television at some point.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a 106" screen for my projector. Do you think that 4K televisions might reach that size before the 4K projectors become affordable and feasible?

I once thought that I was projector for life in home theater, because of the size. But with 4K and HDR keeping projectors so high, it makes me wonder if I might live with a 95" UHD television at some point.
The related question is: could you get a 95" into your theater? A screen can be rolled up and assembled "on site". But a TV has to be navigated around any corners and through any stairs as is.

I don't think I could get a 100"-class direct view display into my theater.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The related question is: could you get a 95" into your theater? A screen can be rolled up and assembled "on site". But a TV has to be navigated around any corners and through any stairs as is.

I don't think I could get a 100"-class direct view display into my theater.

I could, mine is in a big cavernous room with double doors to the outside.

I wouldn't want my screen much smaller than the 106 I have, though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for bumping this thread guys. I was looking for a thread to talk about my new projector with like-minded 3D enthusiasts, and this looks like the perfect place. For me, true 4K was the least of my requirements. I have yet to jump into 4K, but like Ron, I am a 3D addict. My previous projector (2D only) was getting old at 7 years and the main thing I needed in a new projector was 3D capability. The other necessity was lens memory for my 2.35 Constant-Image-Height setup. I also wanted a projector that had an amazing contrast ratio. Needless to say I found all three of these requirements in the Epson 5040UB. The one million to one contrast ratio gives me really terrific blacks. The 3D on this machine is probably just about the best of any home theater projector currently on the market. In high lamp mode the image is bright enough to completely compensate for the darkening of the active shutter lenses and ghosting is pretty much non-existent. See my example here. For 2D I use eco lamp mode and the picture is still very bright with rich contrast. As a bonus it does have pixel shifting faux-4K with HDR, so that I am future-proofed should I ever cave in and buy a 4K player. And finally at $2500 it is only half the price of the cheapest new Sony 4K projector. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The 3D on this machine is probably just about the best of any home theater projector currently on the market. In high lamp mode the image is bright enough to completely compensate for the darkening of the active shutter lenses and ghosting is pretty much non-existent.
I'd like to amend that statement. The first few 3D movies I watched on it had no ghosting issues whatsoever, however Suicide Squad didn't fare so well. As most of the film is night scenes with bright lights in the background I found that even this projector couldn't completely eliminate the ghosts. :(

kscott29

Auditioning
Real Name
Kameron
Yea, it seems like the only ones that are true 4K projectors are the sonys, which are like 5 - 25k$. Just not priced for the average consumer. Would you guys take the JVC RS400 JVC DLA-X900RKT?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We're finally adding HDR to our main theater room with the Sony 940E that's getting delivered next week. Same screen size as our Vizio 4K (75") but finally HDR. I plan to upgrade the projector in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater to 4K HDR next year. But the problem I'm going to run into is one of offset.

The Garage Theater's current projector is an Epson Home Cinema 8350. It has a tilt/shift lens. That allows me to suspend the projector LOWER than the top edge of the screen. And I NEED to suspend the projector lower because there's a big ole garage door opener motor housing between the projector and the screen. I estimate the center of our current projector lens sits about 18 inches below the top edge of the screen.

So far, I've not heard of any true 4K projectors with tilt/shift lenses. And the upper offset of the few I've checked are around 8 or 9 inches. So my desire for 4K may be stymied by the lack of availability of what I need.

Disappointingly, short throw is out of the question too. Unless I can find one that can project a 110" image from a distance of about 8 feet.

Mark

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So far, I've not heard of any true 4K projectors with tilt/shift lenses. And the upper offset of the few I've checked are around 8 or 9 inches. So my desire for 4K may be stymied by the lack of availability of what I need.
Really? Practically all the new projectors have a huge amount of lens shift, usually around +/-90% vertical and +/-50% horizontal. I wasn't aware that 4K projectors were less flexible in this respect.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys! I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Just went to Projector People's site and found a couple 4K UHD that have lens shift. More expensive, but it sure puts my mind at ease.

Mark

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'd like to amend that statement. The first few 3D movies I watched on it had no ghosting issues whatsoever, however Suicide Squad didn't fare so well. As most of the film is night scenes with bright lights in the background I found that even this projector couldn't completely eliminate the ghosts. :(
Just an update on my ghosting woes. I found that one of the problems that was degrading my 3D performance was the auto-iris. During dark scenes it tamps down and the 3D goes all muddy. And because the opening and closing is so gradual, it would affect brighter scenes too. Turning auto-iris OFF in the 3D mode, I found the dark scenes to look much better and it also eliminated much of the ghosting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am really hoping that 2018 brings a UHD projector that has the features and price for me. I'm seeing the potential to upgrade to UHD a year earlier than I'd previously been anticipating. And I have an Atmos system that's artificially crippled by the increasing number of releases that are Atmos on UHD only.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am really hoping that 2018 brings a UHD projector that has the features and price for me. I'm seeing the potential to upgrade to UHD a year earlier than I'd previously been anticipating. And I have an Atmos system that's artificially crippled by the increasing number of releases that are Atmos on UHD only.

I'm in the same boat, Dave. I am not optimistic that prices are going to come down on quality UHD projectors, though.

It's certainly keeping me out of 4k for now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Might be a lot closer than I knew! $2500 for UHD projector from a brand I’ve never heard of. But it has no horizontal lens shift, which might rule it out. And (worse for me) it might have no 24p native ability; 3:2 pulldown is baked in for Blu-Ray and a lot of TV sources. Still, this is encouraging.

“Home Theater/CEDIA l HK2299”
https://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail/HK2299/

“Vivitek HK2299 Ultra HD 4K Projector”
https://www.projectorpeople.com/Vivitek-HK2299-Ultra-HD-4K/Projector/41859

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have the Epson 5040UB currently on the top of my list to replace my current Epson 8350. Just waiting for a really good price on one to pop up sometime around Super Bowl time next year.
My understanding is on large screens, the difference between true 4K and 4K-enhancement is negligible. And since I don't have 4k today, I won't have the problem of comparing what I might be missing. The price difference and the feature-set, with the ability to finally see my 3D blu's, make me think this is the right choice for me next year.

But hey, another projector could come out that makes me reconsider all of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks