4K projector recommendation

Amerkin

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Palla
I (and my family) never got into 3D -- just didn't really care for it even at the better theaters around NYC -- even though our main HT display has had 3D support ever since the early days of BD.

For us, it's good for relatively novel types of fun entertainment (like at Disney World, especially the Avatar: Flight of Passage 4D ride, or in 3D video gaming), but not really convincing enough, especially w/ the encumbrances of 3D glasses, for general (live-action) cinema.

I do have several titles where I paid a modest premium for 3D BD, but never actually watched them at home in 3D as I never found the 3D (as typically deployed anyway) compelling enough to buy 3D glasses to mate w/ our displays, especially given the rather noticeable loss in visual resolution and/or focus sharpness (and probably also contrast and/or tonality) in the primary 2D component of the image. Maybe I'll get around to getting some glasses some time soon before I might end up w/ a display that forgoes support -- the Epson 5050UB I'm also considering seems to include support -- but no current plans on that...

_Man_
I’ve heard many other owners of 3D direct view displays say similar things, typically “I’ve never tried 3D on my TV.” I’ve never been a fan of 3D as presented in a commercial theatre for many of your reasons sited against 3D, but none of those issues are prevalent in the two LG OLEDs I own (a 2014 55” and 2016 65” both curved screen). When set up properly for 3D and ISF calibrated and sitting at the correct distance, it is my preferred way of viewing providing it’s a good production. I currently don’t have any experience with HT projector 3D viewing (I will in the not too distant future) but my 65” LG OLED In 3D gives what I consider the most enjoyable HT experience for it’s size, with all the goods expected from a high end theatre. I was very sad when 3D was eliminated from direct view displays. As far as 3D glasses go, the later generation (2014 and on) use passive glasses and clip-ons are available (perfect for a glasses wearer). Long live 3D!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
^ Build quality is significantly better on the UB9000 as are all of the chassis connections and knobs. The optical drive is quieter and only the disc tray comes out; on the UB820 the front panel drops down to expose the optical drive tray.

The UB9000 remote is much nicer with more controls and it's backlit.

For projector owners the UB9000 has a priority HDR Optimizer mode that best matches most projector's peak luminance capability.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I could have easily afforded one of the JVC models but ultimately chose the Epson 6050UB which does support 3D and is an amazing machine.
After some research I have to admit this Epson is starting to sway me from the idea of Sonys' native 4k 295ES being my first dip into 4k. Never thought Id go back to LCD, been a long time since the Sanyo Z2000 graced my living room. Optoma UHZ-65 had my attention for a bit but lag and horrible install flexibility ruled it out quick, JVC laser isnt remarkable either. Hard to deny 2600 lumens and the benefits the 6050 brings to HDR, even in a dark living room set up like mine. After some extensive research Im just not sure native 4k, reasonably priced and bright, is quite there yet. 6050 is certainly a tradeoff on contrast, and screen door effect if youre wanting to sit uber close, but the brightness and pop is very alluring.

Reactions: John Dirk

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
After some research I have to admit this Epson is starting to sway me from the idea of Sonys' native 4k 295ES being my first dip into 4k. Never thought Id go back to LCD, been a long time since the Sanyo Z2000 graced my living room. Optoma UHZ-65 had my attention for a bit but lag and horrible install flexibility ruled it out quick, JVC laser isnt remarkable either. Hard to deny 2600 lumens and the benefits the 6050 brings to HDR, even in a dark living room set up like mine. After some extensive research Im just not sure native 4k, reasonably priced and bright, is quite there yet. 6050 is certainly a tradeoff on contrast, and screen door effect if youre wanting to sit uber close, but the brightness and pop is very alluring.
I too had originally considered going w/ a JVC (probably NX5), but am now certainly enjoying a new 5050UB in my livingroom HT so far... though it's awaiting its eventual new home in a dedicated HT room (probably come next spring). The 5050UB is not much diff from the 6050UB, and a recent Epson sale plus a coupon offer (for new customers at Parker Gwen) landed it for me at just under $2400 shipped, which made it a no-brainer for me.

Too bad I apparently just missed out on a good, attractively priced, used pair Vandy 3A Sigs (or maybe Thiel CS3.6s) -- that was probably my next upgrade before getting the dedicated HT room ready...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The 5050/6050 is definitely bright but I've given up on decent HDR from any consumer level projector although I would like to see it in action on one of the new laser UST designs. Even if HDR quality were acceptable though, those limit the screen size to the point of being unsuitable for my room.

I haven't seen the purportedly remarkable contrast levels the JVC's are renowned for but the Epson is certainly no slouch in this category, especially in a light-controlled room.

Concerning screen door, how close do you sit? I'm about 12ft back and the projected image is absolutely gorgeous with suitable source material.

sbjork

Agent
Real Name
Stephen
I too had originally considered going w/ a JVC (probably NX5), but am now certainly enjoying a new 5050UB in my livingroom HT so far... though it's awaiting its eventual new home in a dedicated HT room (probably come next spring). The 5050UB is not much diff from the 6050UB, and a recent Epson sale plus a coupon offer (for new customers at Parker Gwen) landed it for me at just under $2400 shipped, which made it a no-brainer for me.

Too bad I apparently just missed out on a good, attractively priced, used pair Vandy 3A Sigs (or maybe Thiel CS3.6s) -- that was probably my next upgrade before getting the dedicated HT room ready...

_Man_
You will definitely be happy with your Epson, but I can vouch for the fact that Vandersteens go well with JVC! (Those are old cloth Quatros, for the record.)

20201001_165945.jpg

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Concerning screen door, how close do you sit? I'm about 12ft back and the projected image is absolutely gorgeous with suitable source material.
Thats what kills me, recommended seating distance for 4k is way closer than what I sit. 1.5 times my screen height, are you kidding me? Thats like 6' for a 106" 16x9. I guess they dont take the front stage of a surround sound system into account. I comfortably sit 12' away, so yeah screen door shouldn'tbe an issue.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
The 5050/6050 is definitely bright but I've given up on decent HDR from any consumer level projector although I would like to see it in action on one of the new laser UST designs. Even if HDR quality were acceptable though, those limit the screen size to the point of being unsuitable for my room.
Is this from only a movie perspective? For me over half of my motivation is the impending Series X.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Is this from only a movie perspective? For me over half of my motivation is the impending Series X.
Not at all. You've heard the expression "garbage in, garbage out." The flipside is also true, at least on this projector. Good quality input signal all but guarantees a beautiful viewing experience. I'm not a gamer but I would expect you would be VERY satisfied.

Alpal

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Bond
The Benq I am referring to is the W7000. I note I only discovered people had replied when I got around to checking this...otherwise no email notification.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Benq I am referring to is the W7000. I note I only discovered people had replied when I got around to checking this...otherwise no email notification.
You can setup email notifications via account preferences.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Pulled the trigger on a Sony 295ES today. Will be a couple weeks but will post my impressions when it arrives and Ive had a chance to view some content.

There are several reasons I went with the Sony over the competition, based both on the numerous reviews Ive read and personal experience with my existing Sony projector...

Its native 4k.

Despite not having a dynamic iris I think the blacks will be excellent in the fully light-controlled environment this projo will be operating.

Excellent gaming projector.

Sony presets are excellent. Ive never bothered with pro calibrations, minor tweaking of a solid preset will work for me.

Natural image and excellent color, very quiet operation even in high lamp mode, based on my experience with my current Sony projo.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Pulled the trigger on a Sony 295ES today. Will be a couple weeks but will post my impressions when it arrives and Ive had a chance to view some content.

There are several reasons I went with the Sony over the competition, based both on the numerous reviews Ive read and personal experience with my existing Sony projector...

Its native 4k.

Despite not having a dynamic iris I think the blacks will be excellent in the fully light-controlled environment this projo will be operating.

Excellent gaming projector.

Sony presets are excellent. Ive never bothered with pro calibrations, minor tweaking of a solid preset will work for me.

Natural image and excellent color, very quiet operation even in high lamp mode, based on my experience with my current Sony projo.
That will be a very nice upgrade from your HW30 except for the noise level that is increased - the 4k panels simply needs more cooling.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
That will be a very nice upgrade from your HW30 except for the noise level that is increased - the 4k panels simply needs more cooling.

We'll see but with great light control and a modest 106" I might get away with eco mode, save maybe the HDR stuff.

Speaking of, my HDR collection is pretty limited. 32 titles with only a handful considered reference material....but then I suppose I can be a real slave to reviews sometimes. Sadly, and I suppose not surprisingly considering how limited the offerings are, none of my existing titles are Imax Enhanced. Several are Dolby Vision tho and from what Ive read despite not specifically supporting the format any 4k display may still benefit from the higher standards from either DV or IE. Still I did order three Imax flicks as a nod to Sony's shiney new format of choice; Space Station, A Beautiful Planet and Charlie's Angels. Those combined with well-reviewed 4k bluray flicks I already own like Power Rangers and Battleship should give me some solid evaluation material.

Of course the old 1.4 HDMI cable has to go. Install wont be a simple as swapping my celing mounting hardware from one projo to the other but Ive got a week or two to get the new cabling installed as the projo and movies snail-mail their way across the country...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Low mode for SDR and high mode for HDR is a very good choice in your case, you can definitely get away with low mode for SDR as that will still be plenty bright. That will also give you some added brightness to attend to those specular highlights.

If your cable is 30 feet or longer you will probably limited to 4k 30 with your existing cable so looks like a good plan to change that cable to 4k 60 so your projector will not be left out if you want to feed it some 4k 60 content.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979