4K projector recommendation (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So do most modern Epson projectors, including the 5050 and 6050UB models.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sadly, its responses like this, along with constant condemnations from outfits like C/Net (3D must die! 3D sucks@ etc) that helped push panel mfgrs to drop it so that we could have just the same old flat image with a new negligable coat of paint. It's the main reason i now buy very few physical discs anymore.

I assure you it was not 'enthusiasts' pooh poohing 3D that doomed it. There was no consumer support for an expensive technology. I have 50+ 3D Blurays and a projector that supports it. But the same old bullshit posts work both ways, every time something new and exciting to discuss comes up the peanut gallery comes in to shit on it because 3D is dead and they are sad. (worse, like the post I was responding to, 98% of the time they fucking know the answer and just want to seed chaos and contempt because they are sad.) I was bummed too but I'm an adult and I have moved on with my life. So no, I am not going to encourage folks to buy into a dead technology even if they can buy existing late models that support it.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Well there was no consumer support or demand for HDR either. But we get it anyway. How many consumers do you think have Atmos setups? HD disc sales have the same or less market share as 3D did at its height but we get them anyway. But ok, we should settle for less. Gotcha.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well there was no consumer support or demand for HDR either. But we get it anyway. How many consumers do you think have Atmos setups? HD disc sales have the same or less market share as 3D did at its height but we get them anyway. But ok, we should settle for less. Gotcha.

This is not even remotely true. HDR is through the roof and is coming to gaming next.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
This is not even remotely true. HDR is through the roof and is coming to gaming next.

No, it's just on every tv, whether people use it or not, even if they dont have a 4k disc player. If 3D were included on all TVs and more people had a chance to experience it, it would only have grown. Heck, it already did match 4k on the disc front, as I stated. People still ask me how they can get 3D. And when some are over fir a movie, I'm usually asked if it's in 3D. Anyway, both are niches within a niche.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
No, it's just on every tv, whether people use it or not, even if they dont have a 4k disc player. If 3D were included on all TVs and more people had a chance to experience it, it would only have grown. Heck, it already did match 4k on the disc front, as I stated. People still ask me how they can get 3D. And when some are over fir a movie, I'm usually asked if it's in 3D. Anyway, both are niches within a niche.
3D projectors are very common, and easy to find. If someone wants to 3D they can do it as easily as changing a light bulb.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Problem w/ 3D has always been the need for glasses (and their inherent issues). That's something that would always disadvantage it vs most other display/format tech.

People got to see 3D in theaters for a long while now, but that didn't convince enough people to buy (and use) glasses at home.

Honestly, I've never really been that impressed w/ 3D for cinema even on a big theater screen. I find it just alright -- more novelty than anything -- but not really worth bothering w/ expensive glasses (on top of having to wear them at all)... even though I've had a fairly 3D capable display in my HT for 12 years now (and FP to 100-to-130" projected image for ~6 years)... and even own a few BD3D titles.

IF the tech can't convince someone like me to be enthusiastic about it, it's almost certainly gonna have a very hard time w/ the masses or even cinema enthusiasts in general. And no film lover is gonna want lots of catalog titles converted to 3D whereas 4K and HDR would be different (and at least worth case-by-case consideration if done right).

_Man_

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I also like Sony's VW295ES, great lens and excellent color accuracy.

Is the 2D to 3D conversion any good on this? I was in the market for a used Panasonic AE8000 for that lone feature.
But my plans for a 4K projector fell apart due to financial issues that arose. It won't be until next year at the earliest before I can be comfortable with a large purchase. The Sony might be right for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have one available in perfect condition if you're still interested.
Thank you for the offer.
I want to upgrade to a 4K projector, if I can have basically the same features all in one unit, it will work better for me.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Congratulations. You have successfully derailed another conversation to shit on and on about 3d.
As a moderator maybe you should moderate your own biases. It isn't always just about what you like.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thank you for the offer.
I want to upgrade to a 4K projector, if I can have basically the same features all in one unit, it will work better for me.

In that case definitely consider the Epson 5050UB/6050UB. I have the latter and, while technically faux K, I doubt most could distinguish these from Sony or JVC models, at least where pixel definition is concerned.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Problem w/ 3D has always been the need for glasses (and their inherent issues). That's something that would always disadvantage it vs most other display/format tech.

People got to see 3D in theaters for a long while now, but that didn't convince enough people to buy (and use) glasses at home.

Honestly, I've never really been that impressed w/ 3D for cinema even on a big theater screen. I find it just alright -- more novelty than anything -- but not really worth bothering w/ expensive glasses (on top of having to wear them at all)... even though I've had a fairly 3D capable display in my HT for 12 years now (and FP to 100-to-130" projected image for ~6 years)... and even own a few BD3D titles.

IF the tech can't convince someone like me to be enthusiastic about it, it's almost certainly gonna have a very hard time w/ the masses or even cinema enthusiasts in general. And no film lover is gonna want lots of catalog titles converted to 3D whereas 4K and HDR would be different (and at least worth case-by-case consideration if done right).

_Man_

I'm tempted to say that you havent seen the best the format has to offer but I dont know what titles you've seen. Thered a reason why most who gaveborh formats would opt for a 3D version of a movie over 4k,if they could only buy one copy of a title. I'd suggest some but since the mod is anti-3d, I will refrain and not post further on the topic. When it comes to glasses at home, the biggest issue for some consumers is they actually have to watch the movie. They cant text, check email, social media, wash dishes,etc with the glasses on.

I personally utilize both formats but to my eyes and those of my guests, no 2D format compares. As someone else stated, watching 4k is like watching tv but watching well-done 3d is like an amusement park ride. My home theater will always have both.

Alpal

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Bond
Well, I have a cinema quality Benq 3D video projector with a 50,000 to 1 contrast up onto a 10ft wide movie screen...and it's a knockout!!! Glasses are very comfortable and not a worry.

Have all the old restored classics that 3D Film Archive are restoring amongst other classics like House of Wax; Kiss Me Kate; Dial M for Murder; It Came From Outer Space; Creature From the Black Lagoon; Revenge of the Creature (Clint's debut in 3D!!!!)......along with all the Marvel movies and whatever else I can get my hands on. Even the converted Titanic, Jurassic Park and The Wizard of Oz!!

All BD, can't be bothered with 4K (I mean how many times do you want to buy the same movie???? I've had silent Standard 8 clips, Super 8 clips, VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray!!!) Now I'm downloading to USB sticks to play on this set up (1080p; 720p!!)

But a firm believer in 3D....one day we'll have a set up where you don't need the glasses for 3D.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have a cinema quality Benq 3D video projector with a 50,000 to 1 contrast up onto a 10ft wide movie screen...and it's a knockout!!! Glasses are very comfortable and not a worry.
Never heard of a Benq with that kind of contrast, which model is it? I guess we are talking about 50000:1 with some kind of Iris?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Never heard of a Benq with that kind of contrast, which model is it? I guess we are talking about 50000:1 with some kind of Iris?

Dont know if it's the same pj he's referring to but the BenQ 6000 has that ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks