What's new

4K Players & Supported Audio Formats? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recently upgraded my AVR to a model that will decode Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and was under the impression that I needed to pair this with a 4K player that supported these formats. A couple players I've looked at have the usual DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD logos, but they haven't mentioned Atmos or X.

Do I need a specific player to send these signals to my AVR, or will the AVR automatically decode these options if they're present on the disc, regardless of the player?

I was looking at the Samsung UBD-KM85c at Costco last weekend ($180), but it only lists "built-in Wi-fi, Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD" as options. Will this player allow playback of Atmos and X through a compatible AVR?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you're bitstreaming audio over HDMI, the player is nothing more than a transport. Your AVR will decode ATMOS and DTS:X for you. There isn't a 4K UHD player on the market, that I'm aware of, that will decode those two codecs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
To add to Doug's comment, you can also bitstream Atmos and DTS:X from any Blu-ray player, for those BD titles which offer those soundtracks. Unfortunately, studios seem to be offering these audio formats mostly on 4K UHD discs now, although there is no technical reason the soundtracks cannot be offered on BD discs as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking that I have a couple Atmos blu's somewhere. I should try one of them and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks