What's new

4K for 45 years old 16mm camera negatives. Make difference??? (1 Viewer)

Alberto_D

BANNED
This looks like the best transfer for a such old 16mm emulsion camera negative I ever saw on video. Judging from screen captures. I didn't image a 45 year old 16mm film could have such details. Looks as good or sometimes a bit better than some transfers from 35mm prints .

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Season-of-the-Witch-Blu-ray/183938/#Screenshots

"Season of the Witch (aka Hungry Wives) has been restored by Arrow Films and is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.37:1 with mono sound. The original 16mm AB camera negative was scanned in 4K resolution on a pin-registered Arriscan at OCN Digital. The film was graded on a Baselight and restored using a combination of software tools and techniques at Deluxe Restoration, London. The original mono soundtrack was transferred from the optical negative elements. "

If a 4K transfer make difference for 16mm (suposing it make a difference) camera negative of decades ago, would be right top presume a 8K transfer for a 35mm camera negative could make some difference ?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This looks like the best transfer for a such old 16mm emulsion camera negative I ever saw on video. Judging from screen captures. I didn't image a 45 year old 16mm film could have such details. Looks as good or sometimes a bit better than some transfers from 35mm prints .

"Season of the Witch (aka Hungry Wives) has been restored by Arrow Films and is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.37:1 with mono sound. The original 16mm AB camera negative was scanned in 4K resolution on a pin-registered Arriscan at OCN Digital. The film was graded on a Baselight and restored using a combination of software tools and techniques at Deluxe Restoration, London. The original mono soundtrack was transferred from the optical negative elements. "

If a 4K transfer make difference for 16mm (suposinf it make a difference) camera negative of decades ago, would be right top presume a 8K transfer for a 35mm camera negative could make some difference ?

NO!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

If a 4K transfer make difference for 16mm (suposinf it make a difference) camera negative of decades ago, would be right top presume a 8K transfer for a 35mm camera negative could make some difference ?

Those are not highly resolved images.

Alberto_D

BANNED
Thank you both for the imput.

Well, why to spend extra money with a 4K transfer if 2K it's enough for 16mm from early 70's ?
Is a matter of density ? Someone told me extra resolution could help to get more information for for fixes like color correction, flicker corretion, despite add no more image details for resolution.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only thing that would make an appreciable difference about the 4K scan of Season of the Witch is something that has nothing to do with 4K scanning at all: this is a pin-registered scan, which would improve the steadiness of the image and thus not introduce any of the artifacts associated with a bobbing and weaving element.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks