1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

4ES owners step up!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by terence, Feb 10, 2003.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I read about all the love Onkyo, Denon, HK, Marantz and Pioneer get on this forum. It's time for Sony ES owners to show the love for their home theater center piece. How about I start.

I love this machine for its flexibility, power, looks and most important the way the 4ES sounds just excellent! I have owned mine since Oct and have loved every DVD, CD since, separation is great and sound stage is wide really full. Out of 5 stars I give a 5, and would not hesitate to highly recommend this fine receiver. So come on fellas show some love! [​IMG]

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Ok,

Where do you want to start?

Alex

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Does this unit allow you to rename inputs? Instead of the receiver showing "DVD/LD" can the name be changed to show the dvd player name, ie JVC, etc? Is so, is it available on all of the inputs?

4. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Brad,

I honestly do not know very much about renaming, but I will take a look tonight. This ability is ability is not of any real importance to me. I seem to remember on the customize panel being able to input some kind of name stuff...

I care more about the other 'stuff'...but I can understand how this ablity may be important to you.

The only real lousy thing about SONY stuff are the manuals and support stuff is very much lacking. That aside, this piece of equipment does what it does very well and for a really great price.

I would buy it again.

Alex

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Post deleted

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Terence, we did show this unit a lot of love in one other thread and if you do a search for "4ES" (if the search works) then you will see a lot of love for this unit.
    Brad, I believe this unit does allow to rename inputs and I am almost 99% sure. I love this unit as a prepro with my AMC amps and have no complaints in music or HT. I did not like the remote but my Pronto 2000 is setup with all the codes and as they say, I'm "styling"! [​IMG]

7. AdamCDN

AdamCDN Auditioning

If you are looking to rename the source input on a sony, it can be done. I have changed my tape to read computer, my dvd to read cable, and tv/sat to read dvd. (all because of the digital audio inputs). It can be done on the older models, i would assume the 4ES can do the same. I hope that helped.

Adam

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

9. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I love my DA4ES... but I'm still wondering if I need to do the upgrade. [​IMG]

10. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I made up my mind a month ago not to do the upgrade because my 4ES did not need it, but here is what NickSp had to say after upgrading his 4ES.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Guys, thought I'd share my experience with the upgrade yesterday of my 4ES. Thanks to Sven and Alex for making it easy on the rest of us. I followed the instructions and the upgrade itself went fine. The 4ES displayed "Memory Clearing" in the end and a mesage box on my laptop said "Memory Updated" or something like that.
    The 4ES was reset to it's factory default settings so I went back and recalibrated the speaker settings, etc.
    What does the upgrade do or fix? Basically nothing. Well it may have fixed things like multi room, etc. but nothing obvious.
    It does not remember DPL settings for different inputs, so if I choose DPL-II music for CD and then go to DVD and choose DTS-Cinema Neo and later when I switch back to CD, I am still on DTS-Neo Cinema.
    Cinema Modes are still in DPL domain and the receiver has not changed in any way with regards to DSP modes, etc.
    Even EQ setings are not unique to inputs selected. I have 2 distinct EQs I use. EQ1 is for music and EQ2 is for movies. If I have selected EQ1 for CD then EQ1 carries over for all the inputs. I have to physically change the EQ to EQ2 when watching a DVD and change it back to EQ1 when listening to a CD.
    So in short, I have not seen any benefits for myself currently but the upgrade went smoothly. Hope this will help those with he DA4ES in deciding whether to upgrade or not.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope this helps.

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The 4ES rocks.

There, I said it. And the 2ES ain't half bad either (I have both; don't ask).

12. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

13. terence

terence Supporting Actor

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Terence:

No problem. [​IMG]

I use a 4ES in my home theater and a 2ES in my office, for 2-channel music. I had been using an NAD for the office set-up but, sadly, it died (how, I cannot explain), and still hasn't been repaired to my satisfaction. Because my dealer took pity on me, he 'sold' me a 2ES well below cost. If the NAD is reparable, he'll refund my money on the 2ES.

Honestly, even though the office is fairly spacious, the 2ES holds its own for music (using JBL S38IIs), and isn't a huge drop-off from the NAD. Of course, I'm not pushing the volume at all, so you have to take that with some reservation.

As far as the 2ES vs the 4ES for theater, I've swapped it into the system, and in 5.1 (my current speaker setup) the 2ES was difficult to distinguish from the 4ES.

Just a few thoughts.

16. Adam_D

Adam_D Stunt Coordinator

i've had my 4ES for about a month and a half now and i have to say that i love it. the sound is fantastic and it has tons of options. i do wish i had one more input in the back free instead of the one on the front but oh well[​IMG]

17. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

18. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

This is now the 2nd time I've read this in these old threads (sorry, doing some final 4ES reading before making the jump as Sony says a black 3000ES is likely never to be in the US).

WHY would you be using the DVD input in ProLogic 2 mode (or any 2.0 enhancing mode)? Why not run the digital audio stream from the dvd player to the receiver and then have it decode it as needed? Is there DVD material that is multichannel that actually has the DVD only encoded as prologic stereo rather than discrete channels?

19. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I was not going to do the upgrade neither, but I changed my mind and did it. I don't know what the upgrade fixes. For its price, the 4ES is hard to beat. It excels in both dynamic range, sound quality, and features.