49TXi with M&K 150THX speakers 4 Ohm?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alvaro Castle, Dec 6, 2002.

1. alvaro Castle

I just got last week into a new Elite 49TXi and I love the sound. Setrting it up and using the MCACC was really helpfull and easy .The remote control it's very handy. The only concern about the remote control it's a System Off feature that allows you to shut down all your equipment. But because sometimes you don't turn on all your equipment it will turn on any one that is in stanby mode if you use the System off function.I haven't find a way around this option so I can modify this.
    My concern now is about my speakers which are a 4 Ohm M&K 150 THX series and the AVR manual look for 6-8 Ohm speakers. Will I get into any trouble running my 49TXi with this low Ohm speakers? My room is a 18'x18'x9'

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have heard that Elite and 4Ohms dont go together for very long. I am sure you'll hear the 49TXi owners chime in soon.

I think if you dont have a large room and dont listen too loud you should be fine with 4ohm speakers.

My 2 cents.

3. Antony

Antony Agent

I've been running the M&K 750THX system (4ohms each) on my new Elite 43TX (granted not the power, etc of a 49TXi, but also not rated down to 4ohms).

I simply set the unit to 6ohms, and listened away. After my first night of prolonged movie watching, I noticed that the unit was much warmer than the older Denon it replaced. So I cut a large hole into the top of the entertainment unit that houses the Elite, and mounted a used 120mm computer fan to exhaust the heat.

I have had no problems in the 5+ weeks that I've had the Elite, and since mounting the fan, I can barely feel any warmth even after watching 2-3 movies.

I think that if you don't push the system EXTREMELY hard, then you should probably be fine. I'd monitor the temp around the unit, and install cooling fans and/or vent holes if your mounting location is sub-optimal.

Antony

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Alvaro I wouldn't be able to help with the shut down issue because my speakers are 8 Ohm and extremely sensitve there's no way I could make my receiver shutdown. I'd probably go deaf first. But I would stongly recommend not using 4 Ohm speakers with the 49txi. It would probably shutdown at moderate listening levels. I you are going to use those speakers then you should get an external amp. I'll give you a link to the 49tx and 49txi forum: http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm24 There have been quite a few threads concerning the shutdown issue and some people have experienced it, that would be your best place to go.
    Daniel Smith

5. alvaro Castle

Thanks Daniel for the tip. I'll be talking with the dealer and see what is going to be the best option. Maybe I should return my M&K and look for a different brand on the 6-8 Ohm range. I'll let you know. Thanks for all the answers.

6. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

alvaro, if anything return the Pioneer. The S-150s are a great package that have remained one of the great speaker systems for years. The Pioneer can be replaced IMO.[​IMG]

7. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Alvaro,

For my money and taste, there is no way I would get rid of the M&Ks just so I could use the Pioneer. You are eliminating the strength of your system to accomoadte a weakness.

Either get an outboard amp or if you prefer a receiver get one that can drive the M&Ks. There are several manufacturers with receivers that will handle the 4 Ohm load--NAD, Rotel, Marantz, HK to name a few.

8. alvaro Castle

OK guys .You're right the M&K is the "no returnable" item on the package and it's the best deal I got on.
    I'll start searching for a different AVR that would handle the 4 Ohm. Any pros and cons between the B&K, Denon (?) and Sunfire?

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Get the B&K 307 on closeout at various dealers around the country. Its the best bang for the buck. I didnt listen to Sunfire recv but I didnt like the sound of their amp. I had to crank it up loud to open up the sound. So of the three you mentioned I would get the B&K and if you can spring the extra $$$ get the 507. That should keep you happy for a long time and shouldn't have any problems driving 4 ohm speakers.

10. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Alvaro:

Have you run the system at the max volume you listen to, to see if you have a problem? I would not make a decision based on "theoretical" limitations when you actually have the "practical" means to test the system. The 6 ohm - 4 ohm thing is often dictated by FTC regulations which have to do with testing an amp. I think you should try the combo to see if it meets your purpose.

11. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Dont listen to these guys[​IMG] ,get rid of the M&K's,I'll even help you out ,just send them to me[​IMG] .Actually as others stated,I believe the reciever would go long before I returned an M&K set,I just have a THX 750 center,and love it[​IMG]

12. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

My advice would be to bite the bullet and pickup a QSC Audio DCA-1644 (or two of them) for under a grand, each. They easily drive your M&K speakers when you use the preouts accordingly. BTW, these are four-channel amplifiers and you will need to fit some grounded interconncts as the inputs on the DCA/PLX/RMX amps are balanced while the preouts on the Elite are unbalanced. But if you are handy with a tool or two then this should not be a problem.
    Go to www.qscaudio.com, skip the intro, and then go into the PDF document repository. They have both brochures and owner's manuals on all their products. Also, the THD/THD+N isn't bad on the DCA/PLX line considering what you are getting for the money.