49TX MCACC questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dre J, May 22, 2002.

1. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

49TX MCACC Questions

A)
    When MCACC is used, is it capable of EQing the mains for flat response?

B)
    Will it then be able to EQ the other speakers, Center, surrounds to match the Flat response of the mains?

C)
    Is this accomplished in "front align" mode or "all align" mode?

I would like to see if the unit will:
    1) First EQ my mains as best it can. (the baseline)
    2) adjust my center and 4 surrounds to match the mains.
    3) do the level adjustments as needed.

D)
    What's unclear is the first step and how it's applied.

E)
    Are the settings adjustable if so desired after calibration?
    If so which ones?

Obi, or any other 49TX owners comments on the subject at hand (MCACC and EQ application) are welcome.

I'm really into 2-channel music reproduction from artists like (Krall, Barber, Arie, Sade, Badu, Coltrane, Brubeck, etc.)

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

The answer to "A" is no, as asked. MCACC sets up two basic sets of parameters. One eq's all channels to a preset curve ("all channel" mode). The other eq's the center and surrounds to match the response curve of the left/right mains with no eq applied to the mains ("front align" mode).

Now, it is possible to eq the mains manually, but that will require some sort of external analyzer. The MCACC will only do so much.

Yes, all channels can be individually adjusted for all parameters. Level, delay, EQ settings, everything can be adjusted manually.

Does that about cover your questions?

3. John H

John H Second Unit

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

John:

I believe the information you quoted is listed under the "manual" setting instructions for acoustic calibration. In this mode, each channel can be set individually, but not by the receiver itself. As best I can tell, the receiver's automated setup does not set an actual "flat" response on all channels. The "auto" mode eq's based on the preset curve.

This does bear some additional investigation, however. I'll look at this later tonight when I have time.

5. John H

John H Second Unit

It seems there are a few errors on page 43 regarding acoustic calibration.
    Why is delay and level referred to? WIDE is used to raise or lower a channels level during auto acoustic setup after equalization has been performed to adjust the channels balance level if it has been affected.
    When selecting [4. Acoustic Cal EQ] under 2. Surround Setup the channels levels and delays are not an adjustable option. MANUAL: allows you to adjust each channels EQ bands manually (except for Front channels when using FRONT ALIGN mode) and you may adjust WIDE to level compensate.
    You must select [2. Channel Delay] or [3. Channel Level] to adjust level and delay values. Not [4. Acoustic Cal EQ]
    John

6. John H

John H Second Unit

I just spoke with Pioneer tech. I was told that when using the auto acoustic calibration ALL CH ADJ mode the unit is trying to achieve a flat response from all channels.
    I have also read that it is tring to match a "target curve as closly as possible. Pioneers target cure is said to derive from Beatles producer George Martin's famous A.I.R. Studio.
    John

7. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I now have a good idea of what MCACC is doing.

It looks as though I'd still need external EQ for my Sub to complete the package to tame room response if it is located on the LFE/Subwoofer output.

This looks like a nice feature that has just made my preamp decision much harder.