What's new

48hz vs 96hz (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a upscaling dvd player. And I want to be able to use everything this dvd player can put out. What I mean is the dvd player says it can produce 96hz. I don't know if my receiver can handle the 96hz. My receiver is an Onkyo tx-ds939 it used to be a monster in it's day. It is a dolby digital receiver. The dvd player is a sony dvp-ns75h. Can somebody please tell me if this receiver can handle all the dvd can put out. Before I go and buy a new receiver, will it make that much of a difference if I were to keep my receiver. Thank you very much

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most media is not 96k, and it likely does not upconvert everything to 96k, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris. I believe that spec talks about how fast the processor is inside the DVD player. A faster processer tends to allow the software that decodes/de-interlaces/up-scales the video to do a better job. Your receiver wont do anything with the video except pass it on so it should not be an issue.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
From the Crutchfield description of the Sony dvp-ns75h:

My guess is that your receiver (which I believe came out in '97) probably doesn't support 96kHz/24-bit signals. That being said - I wouldn't go out and buy a new receiver just for that. This only refers to audio - and most digital sources that you will be playing are in the lower range (CD audio is 44.1kHz/16-bit, and I think DTS is 48kHz and up to 20-bit).

That being said - you may decide that there are many other reasons to upgrade to a newer receiver, but if this is your only reason then skip it.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The rating 96khz/24 bit is the onboard DACs of the DVD player. The only way you will get any use of it's DAC would be to connect the DVD player up analog. That wouldn't be practical, so just keep your digital connection. I am just going to guess that you don't have any DTS 96/24 material, as most don't, and you needn't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks