480p Faroudja DVD RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam J, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I have been studying the forums for a few weeks now trying to purchase a set. I have basically decided to wait a few more years before going digital, but I am going to go ahead and buy a tabletop RPTV for now. I have decided to pass on the Toshiba and Hitachi since they upconvert to 540p, and the Mits is nice, but I would rather go with a 46" set, than a 42".

I am only interested in viewing DVDs, particularly the LOTR trilogy once its out this summer. Currently I am leaning towards purchasing the Sony 46WT510 since it will display native 480P.

I haven't decided on a DVD player yet as it seems that is even more convoluted than picking out a TV at this point.
    Questions:

1. Do sets that display native 480P give a superior picture when watching DVDs?

2. Can sets that display native 480P take advantage of the Faroudja chipset availble in some DVD Players like Samsung 931

3. Is there anything else I really need to consider before making this purchase?

4. Any other tabletop RPTVs that I should consider?

Thanks for all replies

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If the TV is set up properly, the native sets will outperform the ones that upsample.

The upsampling of the Hitachi and the Toshiba are pretty decent and chances of you being able to tell are slim unless you know what to look for.

The 540 sets can take advantage of the chipset too since they simply upsample a 480p signal and no mor perform additional deinterlacing to muck things up.

The differences are not as huge as you might like to think. Bear in mind that DCDI is for video based material and has no impact on films at all. It only helps for things shot in video ... like concerts and stuff ...

Regards

3. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Michael,

I didn't know it was for video only, thanks for that information.
    I will have to look up DCDI and get more info on that.

So basically if all I am interested in is watching DVD movies, any of those tabletop RPTVs should fit the bill?

Thanks again!