480i to 720p/1080i up-converter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John.R.R, Nov 10, 2002.

1. John.R.R

John.R.R Auditioning

The new Samsung DVD-HD1000 says that it upconverts 480i DVD's to 720p/1080i UNLESS the DVD is copy protected, in which case it upconverts to 480p. I have several thoughts/questions about this feature, but first some background:

I was researching Sage/Faroudja (now under Genesis) news releases for information on their new FLI2300 chip. This is the latest edition of their FLI2200 chip which is in the Panny CP-72,82 series DVD players which get such good reviews. The problem with the 2200 is that it doesn't have scaling. The 2300 has scaling. So a Aug. 22 2002 press release says that Samsung has chosen the FLI2301 chip for it's new Samsung DVD-HD1000. Here's what it says:

"The FLI2301 is part of the FLI2300 family of next-generation deinterlacer chips from Genesis using Emmy-award winning technology from Faroudja(TM). The previously available FLI2200 featured many of Faroudja's patented technologies, including Film Mode (reverse 3:2 pulldown) detection, Cross Color Suppression and the highly acclaimed Directional Correlational Deinterlacing (DCDi(TM)). To this, the FLI2300 family adds 3-D noise reduction, horizontal and vertical scaling for aspect ratio conversion, and Faroudja's patented TrueLife(TM) video enhancement technology. ...

. . . Samsung's DVD-HD1000 model uses a 480i source in the DVD and outputs 720p/1080i quality at the HDTV level, making the quality of the output more vivid than the source."

The Samsung website confirms this up-conversion except when the DVD is copy protected. It also says that there is a HDCD decoder built in.

Now I'm not smart enough to know whether this up-conversion capability is new or whether it is resident in the FLI2300 chip or whether it is a Samsung add-on, or even if every DVD I have has copy protection, but it's interesting because if up-convert technology can be built into a DVD player then why can't it be built into a a TV? In fact, on 10/22/02 Genesis announced that Samsung would be using the FLI2310 chip in its Tantus DLP-HDTV line.

So . . . my questions are:

1) Are all DVD's copy protected, thus making this up-convert feature useless?
    2) Wouldn't the cure be to add a DVI-HDCP output on the DVD player, connect it to a DVI-HDCP input on a HDTV and viola! We finally have HD-DVD now instead of 5 years like I've read?
    3) More importantly if the technology was added to a HDTV then all 480i signals including cable could be upconveted to 720p/1080i. I understand that the up-conversion isn't the same quality as getting HD delivered from the source, but since even 480i up=converted to 480p is an improvement how much better would 1080i look? In which case in the short term cable companies who are dragging heels on HD don't have to use the bandwidth for 3 STD channels on 1 HD channel. At least to HD or not to HD would be in the hands of the consumers, not the content owners and the content delivery folks.

Am I missing something here or this up-convert technology new? It also occurs to me that the FCC's mandate that by July 2004 all new TV's have an OTA HD tuner built in would be a useful order if instead one of these up-converters was required.

John

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the Sony HD100 directv/OTA recvr. When I upconvert a 480 to 1080, the picture downsizes by ~20%. I am not sure if thats the same way Sage/Faroudja does it...but I would guess so or else they are $$$$$.
    Its funny Fox broadcasts a "enhanced 480" on the digital channels.
    My reciever does the same thing to its analog broadcasts....looks identical

3. John.R.R

John.R.R Auditioning

Maybe it was too good to be true, but if the Sage/Faroudja chip has decent scaling then maybe the 20% shrinkage could be reversed.

J.