480i/p confusion

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike-Post, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mike-Post

Mike-Post Extra

Hi all,

Wondering if you can help out a HT n00b.

I have a Sony KV34HS510 TV, & a Philips MX3900D DVD.

If I have the Progressive switch set to "off" on the DVD, will the TV try & up convert at all?

What if I set Progressive to on?

Finally, is there any easy way to tell with Sony TV's what mode you are in? (480i/p, 720, 1080)

Thanks

Mike-Post

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Not that I know of. You might be able to enter the service menu while the DVD player is sending a signal and it will tell you. With many Sony's, push Display then 5 then Volume up, then power to get the menu and it should indicate on the screen what kind of picture it is displaying. Do not play with any settings in there! You can void your warranty.

3. Bob__H

Bob__H Auditioning

My TV has a Virtual HDTV button that changes it to 1080i..not that it does much of a difference or that I have a Sony..

What does upconvert mean?

Thanks,
    Bob

4. Mike-Post

Mike-Post Extra

WayneO, thanks for the help.

Yes, I have an HD ready TV, & the DVD is connected via the component connections. Also, you are correct, the Service menu does tell you what mode you are in. I was hoping there was a way I could tell without going into the service menu.

Bob__H,

My limited understanding of upconverting is the TV will take a 480i picture & try to double the number of scan lines to something like 960.

Now I guess the next question would be: Am I better off having the DVD set to 480P, or having it on 480i, & letting the TV do the dirty work.

Thanks.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

All things being equal, the player will do a better job, because it does the conversion entirely in the digital domain. But all things are rarely equal. A lot depends on the quality of the circuitry in the player vs. the quality of the circuitry in the TV. The only thing to do is to try both ways and judge with your eyes.

And, BTW, my advice is to stay out of the service menu unless you know exactly what you're doing.

M.

6. Mike-Post

Mike-Post Extra

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try it out after work tonight.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most HDTV TV sets autoselect to match the incoming video -- 480i, 1080i, etc. The TV then displays everything on the picture tube as 1080i, doing the necessary conversions (de-interlacing, etc.) without your need to do or set anything special. So when you feed in interlaced from the DVD plyaer then the TV always upconverts to rpgressive, if you feed in progressive, the TV never upconverts. The TV does not have to tell you what it is doing because you know what the input is (720p, etc) and for each kind of input there is only one possible thing the TV could be doing.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm