What's new

480i better than 480p on my plasma screen? (1 Viewer)

lowpost

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy C
Hi, new here. I searched for my question and found good info, but nothing really answered my specific question. I hope someone can help me.

I just bought a used Pioneer PDP-5050sx (my understanding it's the PDP5050HD without the HD receiver) and for some reason the image when my DVD player is sent to output 480i is better than when I set it to 480p. The 480p is jagged and full of artifacts. Is this possible or is something wrong with one of the units? My DVD player is a 3 year old cheap Sony payer. Is it possible that my plasma display is already de-interlacing the 480i and setting the DVD player to 480p is somehow screwing it up? I assumed that the TV processor would recognize a progressive signal and not do anything. Even more weird is that when I turn off the "Pure Cinema" processing for hi def quality, the image is the same whether the DVD output is i or p. Overall the picture seems to be best when I set the DVD player to output 480i, and turn the plasma processing on.

Is this a case of bringing in someone to callibrate so that I have peice of mind that I'm getting the best pic? I'm actually very happy with the picture, but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it.

Thanks!

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Your display is just better at scaling than you DVD player. The display is going to take any input (interlaced or progressive) and scale it to its native rate....which for your display is probably 720 or 768 P. If the picture looks good with an interlaced input, just enjoy the results. If you're still not quite happy, it may be time for a new DVD player.

Mort

lowpost

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy C
I'm still a little confused about something:

1. So if my plasma is converting/resizing everything to it's native resolution, and de-interlacing the signal, then is there any point to buying a DVD player that upconverts to 720/1080, other than the DVD player might do a better job at it?

2. So does having an HD DVD or bluray 1080 signal going directly to my monitor perform better than a 1080 upconverting DVD player, and is the reason becasue there is no upconverting or processing required?

3. My plasma can only display 720p so an upconverting DVD player will only upconvert to 720p, and not 1080 - is this correct?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks