480I and 480P, How Much Difference?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Yung, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Is there suppose to be a big difference between 480 Interlaced and 480 Progressive? I was watching a couple of DVDs on a Panny PT-50LC13 this weekend with a progressive scan dvd player and I didn't notice a big difference. Am I missing something?

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

The bigger the TV, the bigger the difference between interlaced and progressive, although you should be able to see a difference in an A-B comparison on any screen bigger than 27". After watching progressive, an interlaced image will seem a little washed out and you'll notice some motion artifacts inherent to interlaced images (moire, etc).

How were you doing the comparison? I don't know the specifics on your monitor, but it's possible that the TV's internal line doubler was automatically giving you a progressive picture when you switched the DVD player to output an interlaced signal. The only difference you'd notice between the two images would have been due to the capabilities of the DVD player's deinterlacer as opposed to the TV's internal unit, but both images would have been progressive.

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes, on many models.. You can't even A/B this easily.

As they take any 480i signal on the component video and the TV provides the Progressive scan.

On such systems, an SVideo (Always Interlaced) to the TV's 480p to a players 480p are the only real comparisons that can be made.

4. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

There's no guarantee a 480p image will look better on your display than 480i; it simply depends on which unit (player or display) does a better job of deinterlacing. If the display has excellent processing, it probably won't look any better using 480p, especially if you're using a cheap prog DVD player.

However, most average displays will probably look better with a good progressive player.