What's new

480i, 480p, EDTV?? (Noob question) (1 Viewer)

Donovan M

Auditioning
What kind of a difference in picture quality for my Xbox could I expect between a regular tv (Samsung 27" DynaFlat™ TV/Model: SAM TXP2734F) using component cables compared to an EDTV (Samsung 27" Flat-Screen Enhanced-Definition Digital TV Monitor/Model: SAM TXN2745FP)? I'm a noobie with all of this, but I assume the first would be displayed in 480i and the second would be displayed in 480p. Besides the Xbox, I will only have my DirecTV hooked to it using S-video cables. For my use, would it be worth the extra $140 to upgrade to the EDTV?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
There may be a difference in picture quality going from 480i to 480p, but there will be no difference in resolution. Both are standard definition (the 'SD' in SDTV) televisions. You will not be able to display HDTV resolution on either. The X-Box can display 480p (with the optional video pack), but your s-video connection for your DirectTV cannot, so no gain there. Myself, I cannot see upgrading to a TV that gives me no better resolution and does not allow for HDTV viewing in the future. I would look into the low cost Samsung widescreen HDTV tubes, available for under $1000 (see below) . Your mileage may vary.

Samsung 30" HDTV

Samsung 26" HDTV

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Are you choosing between those two TVs and the EDTV is only $140 more?

If those are your only two choices, I'd definitely go for the EDTV. The 480p will provide a noticable difference for Xbox games, nearly all support 480p only very few support higher resolution.

The other possibility might be to put the money you have for the TV now into a bank and add $50 to it every week. Before long you might have enough for a real HDTV.

Maybe by November when the weather gets cold. Until then, try to spend more time outside. By November the prices might come down a bit more too and you'll have that much more money.

Better yet wait 'til Jan, after the holidays you can probably find a good deal. Hey, good things come to those who wait. Buy now and By next January the new 480p EDTV will be old hat, you'll be bored of it. You'll say to yourself, jeez, I should have taken that Wayde idiots advice. In Jan, following my $50 a week rule, you might be able to go out and get yourself a nice "46 HDTV.:)

Donovan M

Auditioning
Anyone familiar with the Magnavox 27" Flat-Screen HDTV Monitor (Model: MAG 27MS5402)? It's priced at $489 (on sale). The whole story is that I purchased the Samsung 27" DynaFlat™ TV (Model: SAM TXP2734F) about 2 weeks ago from CC. Now I'm thinking about exchanging it for something else before my 30-day window expires.

I like the Samsung, but I keep thinking that I'm missing out on a better picture for just a few more $$$. I'm trying to get the best picture for my xbox, while keeping price to a minimum and $489 is definitely my cut-off point(if not a little above it).

Keep in mind that this is my secondary tv that's used almost exclusively for my xbox and some personal satellite viewing. Perhaps I will super size things in the future when I upgrade my primary tv.

Users who are viewing this thread