480i, 480p, 960i, 1080i, Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aleksei S, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

Hey All,

I've got a question regarding the various resolutions, are the 480, 960, etc resolutions?

I understand the i and p (interlaced and progressive) and I've read that 1080i is the HD resolution, and 480i is what my 10year old GE gets now.

My new TV will do 480i, 480p, and 1080i. My question is am I missing out on anything, or unable to use something, due to not having the resolutions between 480 and 1040.

Sorry if the wording is a bit muddy, I'm just barely grasping all this, and my refund check hasn't come yet so I just wander around Electronic stores with a wistfull look on my face.

Thanks,

Alex

2. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

Ooops,

I also wanted to know whether y'all think its worth it to get the extended warranty on these HDTV (32" Hitachi or Samsung).

Thanks

Alex

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You won't be missing out on anything because all mainstream *progressive* DVD players output a 480p signal (which your TV accepts), and most HDTV programming in the US is 1080i. Those two are the most popular viewing formats around.

As for the extended warranty, in my experience, I've never bought one. I figure if any of my sets make it past the standard warranty period, I'll most likely be in the clear. So far, the all my sets have lasted me a minimum of 5 years before having any major problems; so at that point, instead of fixing the old set, I just buy a new one.

4. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

All DVD players will output a 480i signal.

There are many progressive players that can output a 480p signal as well, but not all players will do this.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wonder if a 32" TV is really big enough to truly appreciate the resolution of true 1080i HDTV programming. I know it will look better than NTSC broadcasts (480i) but with a 16:9 frame on a 32" TV will you really be getting all the resolution possible? Not sure. Maybe somebody else could comment on this.

Good luck.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If your TV doesn't boast 720p, you are not missing much, if no 960i, you are not missing anything.
    Since 1080i consists of two 540 scan line fields every 1/30 of a second, you will notice that is not very different from 480p which is two 480 scan line frames every 1/30 of a second. If per chance every other 480p frame is staggered a tad downwards, the result is 960i video-wise, although getting 960i content-wise depends on what got fed into the input jacks out back. 720p is a big step up from 1080i/540p in terms of scan lines per second.
    A few HDTV sets upscale the 480p to 1080i (540p content-wise) so the picture tube only needs one speed scanning (1080i). Almost all HDTV sets upscale (de-interlace) the 480i to 480p at least, so there is no scanning of the picture tube at the 480i rate.
    720p is actually much more difficult to deliver from the tuner box to the picture tube, technically. Very few broadcasts are in 720p. Only the really high end TV sets display it. For the most part the set top tuner boxes for HDTV convert incoming 720p to 1080i to feed your TV.
    There is serious talk about Hollywood's watering down the HDTV we will all get over the air, except for pay per view channels. For example every other 1080i field might be a repeat so content-wise we might be getting 540p although video-wise it is 1080i.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Alan,
    I think that if your set can resolve all 1080 lines without much overlap, the 1080i signal will look better than 720p. Not only because of the effective increase in vertical resolution, but the higher horizontal resolution as well(1920, compared to 720p's 1280).
    However, I do realize that most consumer-grade HDTV's only have enough bandwidth to pass roughly 2/3 to 1/2 that number, so that point may be moot for now.
    I think on a 32" tv, they'd both look identicle though....
    BTW
    I learned a great deal from your website - it's a wonderful resource! [​IMG]
    -Ryan Dinan

7. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

Hey all,
    Thanks for the good advice.
    Doug, don't worry about raining on my parade, I'll take as many opinions on a subject I can. I know the 32" is a bit small, but compared to my 27" GE everything is gravy. Plus I don't have room or budget for anything bigger than a 32, and I want to go HD. This will be a small step toward getting a bigger (50+") in the future, but I think the wife would like a house first![​IMG]
    Cheers Guys,
    Alex