What's new

4805: Slight Problem in Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Infocus SP4805 with the standard 76" screen. I've just installed component cables to connect to a Philips DVD727, for which I was using a standard S-Video cable before.

I love the component cable image in both interlace and progressive scan, but I've noticed that there's just a hint of stairstepping along high-contrast edges in progressive scan mode that doesn't seem to be present in interlaced mode. The effect is especially pronounced when I hit the Pause button.

It's raised several questions in my mind:

1) Has anybody else noticed this? Is it expected behavior?

2) Do you guys prefer to use your 4805s in interlaced mode or progressive scan?

3) The color settings seem to be very different in progressive scan mode. Much easier to use in interlaced mode. Which is better?

Thanks!

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
The 4805's faroudja deinterlacer is far superior to the deinterlacer in the Phillips DVD player, that's why you see the stairstepping in your picture.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Pat, I have the X1 which also has the Faroudja inside. I prefer to run my DVD player in interlaced mode thru S-video/component adapter input of X1. Also there are more video settings with S-video input. Try iy, you'll like it.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator

Ohhhh, of COURSE, that makes perfect sense. I should have realized that if the projector isn't doing the deinterlacing, then something ELSE has to be doing it. Thanks Brian!

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean. You're saying I should take the component cables coming from the DVD player and adapt them into S-Video before inputting into the 4805?? That seems a little odd to me....

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Jim is referring to a cable that came with early model X-1's that allowed you to connect 480i component output into a special S-Vid connection on the back of the X-1, the conx had 2 extra pins. There is no need on the 4805 since, as you know, it already has componnent inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks