What's new

4805 Shutdown ? (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
How are you 4805 Owners shutting down your PJ? The Manual says you can just flip off the Unit's Power switch or use the Remote. But using the remote still requires you to flip off the Power button, so what's the point of using the remote?

I did finally wire in a Switch to the outlet it's plugged in to. (wife couldn't reach the switch on the unit) Just seems like the remote should be able to power it completely off.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
This design blunder in the 4805 is the only thing I don't like about it. Mine is out of reach. I've plugged it through a power strip, but I rarely flip this switch. So the PJ doubles as an air cleaner.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering then if there is really a need to completely remove power. The lamp goes off using the remote shutdown so I assume it would just stay in a "standby" mode. Would this be like an AV Receiver or other Devices and use minimal power? I guess I'm thinking the Lamp being off is the main concern.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Here is what I and many other 4805 owners do for shut down. (It also seems to be the way to get the most hours out of a bulb.):
When you are finished using the projector then shut it off using the remote. You will hear the fan still running for about a minute or so. The fan will then slow down quite a bit but it is still running.....when you hear the fan do that then shut the power down on the unit itself (or shut power off on whatever you are using to plug it in). It is better for the bulb to cool down naturally without the aid of a fan. Use that shutdown method if you are not planning to use the projector again for an hour or so.....
If you are planning to use it again in say a half an hour after you are done using it the first time then shut the power off on the remote but do not cut power on the unit itself......keep in in standby mode then just power it back up with the remote when you want to use it again. Hope this helps.

Brian,
I know it may be a pain to shut your unit off but I would simply to keep the filter from getting gunked up quicker. A projector is a bit more delicate then a huge TV set. Anything you can do to not make it work so hard will usually result in a longer lasting machine. I admittadly have no direct experience if "my" method is the best but I am copying what a vast majority of AVS'ers do for their 4805's and it has worked quite well for them. Other projector may be different but as you state....the 4805 seems to be odd projector in this regard.

James Phung

Second Unit
Also, if you leave your projector in standby, power fluctuations can cause the projector to turn itself back on. If you plan on leaving the 4805 on standby, you should enable the power saving mode, where the projector will shut off after 15-20mins if it receives no video signals.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, I'm a bit confused here. You said To shut down with the remote, wait untill the fan slows, then power off. But then you say "It is better for the bulb to cool down naturally without the aid of a fan." Using the remote does shut it down with the aid of the fan.

Sorry If I'm not understanding.... I do appreciate your inpute.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Nope, I do not blame you for not understanding......I have never been accused of being the most articulate person LOL :)......
When you hit the power button on the remote to shut the unit down the fan goes through a short exhaust type cycle.......this is a good thing. After it is finished you will hear the fan slow down quite a bit....almost to the point that it is not audible. When it does this then shut the power button off on the unit. If you do not then the fan is still running.....even though it is slower. That is what I was referring to with my "aid" statement.
Bulbs tend to last longer if they are allowed to cool down by themselves....without a fan. So to sum up.....when you are finished using your projector for awhile.....hit the power buton on the remote. When the fan slows down after a minute turn the switch on the projector off. Sorry for any confusion and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask....if you dare LOL!! :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It might also help to watch the green light (if your ears are still ringing from listening at reference levels :)). When the light goes solid it has gone into standby and the exhaust cycle is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks