4805 screen size 106" vs 92"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Reis, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a 4805 and will be having it ceiling mounted, and it looks like the lens' distance from the screen should be somewhere around 12.5--12.7 feet. At first I was thinking it would be more like 13 and I picked up the Optoma Graywolf 106" screen. The more I read and calculate, I decided I had probably made a mistake and gone too big, and decided to opt for the 92" Graywolf. After all the raves I've read on AVS about these screens I was pretty sure they would work well for me. So now I have an unopened 106 in my living room and am awaiting delivery on the 92. The 106 won't be a problem to return to Best Buy.

So did I do the right thing? From everything I have read and calculated, it sure seems like the 92" is the better option for the 4805 from around 12.5-13 ft. Or am I missing something and could the 4805 throw a good image onto the 106 from this distance? Obviously I wanted to go as big as possible but if 92 is the only viable option I can certainly live with that. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Please forgive if these are silly questions...this is my first foray into front PJs.

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

If you run their distance calculator, you'd notice that the maximum you can get from 13 feet is 101" diag. With a 106" screen you could always ignore the extra, or mask it; and have the bigger screen available for future repositioning. I'm doing 140" in a large room with absolute lighting control (had to add some nightlights to keep from tripping over stuff). The 4805 is rated to 9 foot wide (I'm doing 10' wide on low power with no problem) so you can go as big as you want from that distance.

3. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Do you want BIG or GOOD picture quality. The 4805 at 92" will shine, shine, shine. You can either listen to reason or take a chance on your own judgment. Anything larger than 100" with a 480p projector at less than 12' is going to amplify all sorts of video source artifacts and screen door.

Larger screens in these applications are for 2 things only.

Extreme distance seating or people with bad eyesight in the first place.

I just set up an optoma H27 in a spare room which is also a 480p projector and I opted for a 92" screen with this unit. Yes the 4805 will work at 106" very easily as it has excellent light output but good picture quality is just as important as size is.

No, your questions are never considered stupid.

4. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys--I understood all along that it was probably wishful thinking to go to 106" and retain great quality. I just read such wildly varying opinions on acceptable mounting/viewing distances it gets confusing. I know the general rule on 480p machines is 2.0x screen width, but it seems there are quite a few people "cheating" on this rule who are very happy. Since 13 feet back is the maximum distance I will be able to mount/sit, I will err on the side of great picture quality rather than huge screen. 92" is still pretty darn big. [​IMG]

Actually as reasonably priced as these Graywolf screens are I will probably keep both and maybe use the 106 for an eventual basement theater in a couple years when I inevitably upgrade from the 4805.

Thanks again.

5. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

I hace a 106" draper onyx m1300 in my main theater with a 720p LCD projector. At the 14' seating distance from the screen,the picture quality with good dvd transfers is phenomenal. Your 4805 at 13' viewing distance on a 92" screen will look better than you think.

Best of luck with the project[​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Personally I think it's safer to mount the PJ and test it on the wall before you buy a screen. That way you can be sure what size you are comfy with before building/buying the screne.