4805 Poor TV Picture

Discussion in 'Displays' started by drobbins, Feb 5, 2005.

1. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I have had my 4805 for a few months now and I have set it up with the Avia DVD. When playing DVDs I am impressed with both the color & clarity. My problem is watching TV. I get my signal through the Phone Company. It is processed through a gateway that separates the signal to two TVs and my DSL Internet service. I have the gateway connected with a s-video cable to switch box then to the projector. The RCA is run to a TVGuardian then to the receiver. I know the signal is not HD and that a DVD will give a better picture, but it sometime the picture looks worse than my old TV. The picture on my second TV that is connected with a co-axial cable looks better. First of all the picture was way too bright so I lowered the brightness and saved it under the user settings. These are some of the other issues
    1. In the white areas, I get what looks like darker zigzag lines.
    2. With fast action scenes sometimes it looks blurry.
    I don’t think they are projector issues because the picture is great with a DVD. Is there something I need to do with the projector settings to compensate? The TV gateway has no options. I am thinking of putting the Gateway back on my old Tv but don't want to.[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

I've been seeing the same thing with DirecTV. I don't know what the problem is, but I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that regular old NTSC is only 200 lines of resolution, and it's been blown up to gigantic size, so maybe that's just how it's going to be until we get HD.

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Pat,
    Thats the answer that I expected, but didn't want to hear. Have you had any improvements adjusting the brightness or contrast?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yup, thats what it is

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Well, I guess I will have to bug the phone company to add some HD programming

6. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

It gets even worse when you have to deal with DirecTV's heavy MPEG compression, which was never a problem on my old, beat-up 27", but when I blow it up with the 4805, it's like watching a web cam. And they seem to apply even more compression to the local stations. Which I guess means they'll *never* be able to broadcast all the local stations in HD.

So I guess eventually it's back to Comcast, if they ever bring HD west of my local interstate. The problem there being the loss of a second tuner in Tivo. (sigh) You just can't win with these guys.

I've started skipping some series completely (like Lost), planning ahead to their eventual availability on DVD. I do that for movies, why not TV series?

7. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

just get directv hd, with over the air hd antenna