What's new

4805 Fan Question (1 Viewer)

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen several posts from 4805 owners who switch off their PJs via a light switch. But I've noticed that for a while after I use the software off switch (via remote) the fan continues to run at the same speed.

Are you guys throwing that switch AFTER the fan drops down into the lower power setting? Or are you saying that I can go ahead and switch it off immediately -- no cool-down period is necessary?

The manual seems unclear, saying that both methods work but also clearly saying that the remote provides a cool-down period.

Thanks.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have many hours on my unit, but I switch off with the remote. Wait for the fan speed to drop and give it about five minutes before switching off AC line to the unit.

I think the manual states you can do a reboot immediately if you use the remote to power down but have to wait if you use the main power switch before restarting the unit.

This all has to do with lamp cooling and re-striking. I don't know specifically about this lamp type, but re-striking Xenon lamps on movie projectors is to be avoided since it shortens lamp life.

John

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I take it "re-striking" is turning it back on again without a proper cool-down period?

Thanks!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have also only had my 4805 for a short time. I use the remote, wait for the fan to switch to low, then cut the power. If I expect to turn it back on with in a few hours, I don't cut the power.
Dave

terence

Supporting Actor
I have owned mine since september, I use the remote, wait for the fan to switch to low, then cut the power too. Two reasons i do a hard power off is...

1. It keeps the 4805 from sucking dust when not in use.

2. The power went out when i was not home and came back on, i'm guessing the off and on quick type. It caused the pj to turn on! Good thing i decided to go into the theater that that day, or who knows how long it would have been running.

James Phung

Second Unit
Bob Williams, infocus engineer, stated that it is best to just switch it off (without cool down), so that the lamp can cool itself down naturally. It is best to do this when you plan on leaving the unit off for the rest of the night. The soft power down and letting fan cool off the lamp is used so that in cases where you plan on turning the projector back on soon after turning it off.

James Phung

Second Unit
Kevin,
Not all projectors do this. Many 4805 owners hate that it doesn't turn off completely, while infocus feels that it's a "feature" on the projector.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning to get a Panasonic 500, do you have any idea if it acts the same way? Just curious because I am going to run a ceiling outlet for the projector, and if I need a cut-off switch, I would prefer to add it while I am installing the outlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks