What's new

4805 and HDTV (1 Viewer)

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at purchasing the InFocus SP4805 and upgrading my cable to HDTV. Please give me any advice on what I need, as far as cables, to hook this up for HD.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Depends on your cable box, but the least expense for quality would be to go with component cables. If the box has DVI that would be an improvement in PQ and signal but also mean shelling out 35.00 to 45.00 dollars for an M1 to DVI cable. If the box doesn't have DVI then that makes it easy. Component is all you need, but then probably a component switcher down the road to include your DVD player, game console, etc.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. Here's the rest of the situation. I want to hook up HDTV box (has DVI output), XBox, and VCR to this pj. I'm guessing my best bet is to do HD box DVI to M1, xbox and dvd as component, and vcr as composite?

Would this be the best situation?

Thanks again

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's what I would do, but of course you'd need a switcher for the XBox and DVD player feeding into component. If you wanted you could fill up all the available video jacks on the 4805 and connect either the XBox or DVD player with S-Video.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
Could I do HDTV with the M1 connection, DVD to component, XBox to S-Video, and vcr to composite? That would seem to be 4 connections, I thought the 4805 only has 3?

Thanks

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
According to that picture is appears there is 3 inputs, labeled 1, 2, 3. The only problem is that the M1 AND AND component are both labeled 1. The svideo is 2 and composite is 3. My next question is, can you have something hooked up to both M1 and component at the same time?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yep. That's how I have mine. My Bravo D1 DVD player is connected to the M1; XBox and HD Tuner to the component (via component switcher). I know it's confusing how the sources are labeled, but essentially every video source is discrete (i.e. one source does not override the other).

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
That's awesome!! How does HD look on this unit? Do you have any pics of your system, or a website. The more I can learn about this pj the better.

Thank you

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
HD looks grrrreat! Even though the native res is the same as DVD I played some HD clips I have on my htpc via DVI and it look spectacular, better than DVD with FFDSHOW processing.

edit- here's a pic. No doctoring of colors or levels, just resized and cropped. Original is more detailed.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Cameron nice pics but you're relying on the Bravo's internal scaler. DVDs do look nicer when upscaled on a HTPC at 1440x960 on just about any display.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, that's the best I got! I'm aware of the HTPC advantage; I'm just not in a position financially or motivationally to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks