4802 vs. 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Jensen, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Mike Jensen

Mike Jensen Auditioning

Ok, so I got a deal on a 4802. Now I am wondering why this thing sells for almost 3 times than the 3802. I know it has more power, more digital inputs, THX...but what else does the 4802 have the the 3802 does not? I am tempted to take this back and get the 3802 and some speakers for the difference.

Thanks

Mike

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Soundwise the 4802 is marginally better, but nothing to warrant thrice the price. Featurewise the 4802 has some very nice features like xovers that go down to 40 hz (which might become available on the 3803), but still nothing to warrant its high price. For half the price gap you might get better speakers and have better sound than the 4802 would by itself might have given you (with your current speakers) and use the other half (of the price gap) to get a nice used 120W x 5 amp to push the performance even further. The 4802 wouldn't be able to touch this setup by a long shot.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

The 4802 is no doubt the superior receiver, but you're right: not for the price difference. I think the single biggest reason for the difference is THX -- not that three letters are worth that difference, but Lucas needs his cut. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3802 also qualifies, but is not certified to keep the price down. I say go for the 3802 and buy some speakers, or save up for the 58xx.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

THX is a good reason for the higher price, and additional features, but another culprit is the Atkis 800 LCD touchscreen remote. I love this remote... but by itself it a $500 piece!

5. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Hi Mike,
    Check out this thread for more information on the subject.
    -Keith