What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Before Riggs and Murtaugh, before Carter and Lee, before Lowery and Burnett, and before Tango and Cash, there was Cates and Hammond. Buddy movies have been a staple of cinema for decades, but Walter Hills gritty and violent action film 48 Hrs., filled with acerbic banter between two mismatched men who, despite despising each other, must work together to bring down the bad guys while trying not to kill each other in the process, inspired more than its fair share of imitations.
48 Hrs. became a blueprint for more than a few successful films from the 1980s and 90s. Later films may have come to theaters with more spit and polish, but there is something refreshing in the grit and grim of the action, language, and brute force on display.

48 Hrs. (1982)

Released: 08 Dec 1982
Rated: R
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Walter Hill
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime, Drama, Thriller...

Continue reading...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Glad to hear that the Video has been improved. I watched this on Prime recently and it looked like the transfer had been struck from a 16mm print.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The 2 "Filmmaker Focus" featurettes with Hill here and on the sequel are surprisingly good.

Most of the others FFs have been pretty meh, but Hill gets into a lot of ground in his short chats...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Great review! Thanks for giving me all the information I needed to decide whether or not this was a worthwhile purchase. I've been anxiously awaiting a reference-level release of this iconic film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks