47 panny converg

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Simpson, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

I've got my tv looking pretty damn good.I've done all the tweaks on Bretts site.
    When I do a 9pt converg I have alot of crosses that I have a blue hase on each side that i just can't get rid of. Is this normal?The red is completly gone.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The answer depends on how much blue haze you're seeing. Many sets will show some blue haze when scrutinizing the image and this is largely by design.
    On the PT-47's that I've calibrated, the problem is worse on the left side of the screen than on the right. Often, rotating or swapping lenses helps considerably. This could also be a focus issue - either mechanical or electronic - or both.
    I've got a pretty good system going for mechanical focus on the PT-47:
    - Remove the front grille
    - Unscrew 3 screws holding on the control panel and remove the panel
    - Remove all the screws securing the rear panel
    - feed some fine wire or fishing line or whatever through the slot in the front of the set that was behind the control panel.
    - go to the back of the set and loosen the wing nut on the lens and wrap the wire around it a few times. Move the wing nut back and forth a few times to loosen it up
    - run the wire around the lens (one end around each side)
    - from the front of the set, pull up the convergence grid and use the 3 key on the remote to select only the color gun that you're working on
    - grab the two ends of the wire and pull each side until the focus is ideal
    - go to to back, unwrap the wire and secure the wingnut (not too tight!)
    - continue with the next lens
    The electrical focus on newer sets is now secured with blobs of glue. On the last set I did, I was not able to remove the glue without undue force. Since the electrical focus looked fine to me, I didn't push my luck.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on October 11, 2001 at 02:25 PM]

3. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

Your right Johnny G,it is worse on the left side