46807 ..... Am I nuts to do it or what??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg S, May 24, 2001.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Here is the scoop:
    I have a fabulous deal on the table for this set (a fair amount less than the $2000 current price with free setup and delivery).
    However my seating spots are as follows
    chair (one person only) about 6 feet from TV.
    sofa (main spot) about 14 feet from TV
    I honestly believe that the 55" is perfect for the room but the extra grand for it is just not possible.
    Am I out of my mind or what??? Will this be too small for my room to truly enjoy it??
    I am sure 6 months from now I will be poed at no going bigger like 55-65 but the almighty wallet is in charge here and I need to take advantage of some currently available funds that are itchin to go somewhere else right now.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Greg

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Greg,
    At 14' I would think that you're looking at least at a 55", maybe even the 61"+ range. My viewing distance is 7' (and not likely to change in the next few years) so I am going with a 47" 16x9 set. But if I were at 14' (like most of your seats are going to be) I would have sprung for the 55" or higher.
    Hope this helps.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just ordered the 46" and it is due this Saturday. My seating will end up roughly at 6' for the front row and 9' for the back row.
    At 14' I would go no less than 55". What size are you using now? If the 46" is bigger than your current and you can get such a great deal, buy it, use it for a year or so, then sell it and upgrade later. Are you able to move your seating any closer?
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

4. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Currently a plain jane no frills excellent working 27" panasonic
    Seating sadly cannot be move due to room arrangement, ie fireplace.
    And basically the deal would be less than 1800 (thanks a "special discount") + 30% of a nice Bellos stand which is why this is very tough.
    Ugggh what to do what to do.
    Greg

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, call me Mr.Moto, but it will be nicer and BIGGER than what you have now.
    I just ordered this same baby and paid $1998. + $349.00 for and extended 5 year warranty, free delivery and set-up.
    I'd say go-for-it, but thats me. Of course if you wait, the bigger models might drop in price.
    Tough call!
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Carlo Medina

You could buy the 46" and it would be bigger than what you own now...considerably bigger.
    But this seems to be the year for massive price drops of HD-ready sets. The old ones are being dropped to $2K. The new ones are coming in around that price.
    If you're going to plop $2K down right now, why not save an additional grand? Then by the time you've got the cash, the new larger-model HDs will be out (summer, early fall '01).
    Trust me, you don't want to plop down $2K TV and be cursing and wishing to upgrade 6 months from now when you may be able to get a 55" or larger for under $3K.
    That's what I would do in your situation, FWIW.

7. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    the 55807 is available in this area for $2500. That's less than a grand more than the 46". Not sure on prices in your area. I agree with everyone else who said not to buy the 46" if you are going to regret it in the near future. If there is any way you could swing the 55" set, you will be happier in the long run that you did.
    BTW, I've heard that you should find the size screen that's perfect for you, then buy the next size up.
    Good luck,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

8. Carlo Medina

9. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Well here is the scoop.
    I went to the shop and moved their couch back 14 feet (my main viewing distance) from the front of the set to the start of the couch. I have to say IT LOOKED GOOD. The room was sized almost the same as mine so it gave me pretty solid perspective of how it will be.
    I did the same with the 55 and also LOOKED GOOD.
    Did it look better you ask??? - - YES
    Did it look $1300 better you ask??? - - NO WAY
    You ask how could the diff be $1300???
    Well as I said its a "special deal" on this set only because of someone I "know". SO heres how it laid out
    Mits 46807
    Bellos Cherry stand (has 4 openings for components)
    Some HDTV component cables (2 actually)
    Delivery and Setup all (including stand assembly)
    Total cost under $2000 - I can't say how much but lets just say I have enough left of the $2000 I have to go buy a new gas grill tommorrow.
    The problem with trying to go to the 55" is that the only model I can get my hands on is the 55857 which is more $$$ (its price $3600) than the 56807 and I cannot justify the extra money.
    To be honest with you I may have "doubts"(I use this loosley) about not getting the 55" BUT all I had/have is 2K to spend and it took me a VERY LONG TIME to get to this point and so I think I definitely maximized my $$$. Some may agree or disagree but you can only work with what you have!
    Besides one REALLY good thing about going to the 46 is that WAF goes way up vs. the 55 since now I gain some space back up front where all the HT stuff is so the SVS can now move to the front of the pack where she belongs vs on the side in the way of eveything (WAF was very LOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW on this but I made her deal with it(LOL)).
    My budget HT is now officially complete, check it out:
    Mits 48607 - 16x9 HDTV
    Bellos Cherry Stand
    Denon 3801
    Onkyo 150W Amp for sub
    Sony S560 DVD Player - Soon to Panny RP91 when it gets here
    Sony 50 Disc CD
    Sony HiFi VCR
    Dish Network
    Pinnacle Gold Tower Mains
    Pinnacle Gold Center
    Pinnacle Gold Mini Monitors
    Pinncale Gold Mini Center
    SVS 25-31 (best dam $400 EVER SPENT, except for the $400 Insurance deductible I paid when my daughter was born - she is better than the SVS - sorry RS and TV)
    So at this point and time I can truly say I think I'm happy, but dam I can't wait for the Mits to get here tommorrow, I am salivating with anticipation.
    I actually have until 10am tommorrow to change my mind so if anyone is in a giving mood and wants to paypal me about 1K as a donation to my 55" fund than I can move on up!!! LOL
    Anyway thanks fellas for the help and I will be happy to post my "review" once she is up and running!!
    Ron P I know that in your situation (closer to the set) that the 46807 is a perfect choice, enjoy yours as well sir and we will have to converse as we run through trials and tribs of the "red push".
    Greg Shanes
    Official HTF Junkie!!

10. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

congrats!hope you enjoy it for many years to come!
    a few reasons svs IS better than kids(mine at least)
    it only breaks stuff when you turn it up
    it dosent make any noise until you turn it on
    it dosent jump on the floor....until you turn it up
    it dosent eat a life time supply of little debbies in a week(could be the reason the kids are so evil...nah)
    dosent get in your bed at 2am...unless you put it there
    dosent pee in your bed after getting there
    dosent get sick(unless you watch u-571,chapter 16 for 10 hours straight)
    dont have to change its diaper
    best of all NO BS
    ------------------
    "And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

11. Carlo Medina

Hey, congratulations. Don't worry about telling us the price, we're not gonna tell on you! [​IMG]
    As long as you're happy with the purchase, that's all that matters.
    Cheers!

12. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG]Congrats Greg , you made the right decision.I'm jealous. [​IMG]

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Congrats on the TV, looks as though you got a really great deal [​IMG]
    quote: Ron P I know that in your situation (closer to the set) that the 46807 is a perfect choice, enjoy yours as well sir and we will have to converse as we run through trials and tribs of the "red push".[/quote]
    You betcha! I've already started on the Red Push issue. Went to my local Radio Shack and picked up a 75-Ohm Bidirectional Attenuator $6.99, added 2 Gold Plated Phono-to-F Pin Adapters and the total came to $13.00, not bad. I have read nothing but good reports on this device over at the Home Theater Spot, everyone that has used it has said nothing but good things. I know its not the home built one, but hey for 13 bucks its worth a try. If it does not do to well, RS will take it back, so I am out nothing. I think the biggest complaint on it was its large size box. I'll let you know how it works out.
    What I cannot believe is how excited my wife is over this thing. Just can't figure this one out. Oh well, I'm not complaining.
    Have fun and enjoy, I know I will come Saturday!!!
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Well fellas I just got done disassembling all the equipment and moving the old Entertainment Center out and putting the new stand for thr Mits in place and putting all the equipment back in place on the stand and speakers, sub etc. and I can tell that I am officially convinced the 46807 was right because with everything in place I have 0 free space so ther is no way I could have supported another 10" + worth of TV so now I am happy as can be.
    Good night all!!!
    Greg

15. Carlo Medina

Damn! With all this big-screen love-fest going on...I wish Panasonic would just MANUFACTURE MY DAMN TV ALREADY!!! (PT-47WX49, due June 2001)
    Again, congrats to both you and RonP on your new babies. Mine's still a month away [​IMG]

16. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

I will play the devil's advocate.
    Why not get a Plus 1080 projector and screen for under 2000 bucks. Then you don't have a huge tv, have a big 96" widescreen, and an upgradable projector (via Thumperization, scalar, etc.). Guess what---the Plus weighs 3 lbs. Talk about SAF. Besides, once HDTV comes out in full force, DVI will destroy all of today's sets. Even the Mitsus will be expensive to upgrade, if they are upgradable. So enjoy the big picture now, and upgrade later. Check avsforum.com for a ton of info.
    However, if you still going the rptv route, go for the biggest size possible. IMHO, the Toshiba 40H80 gives a better picture than the 46" Mitsu. Of course, the Panny 47" will probably be the best...it is released in July I believe.
    Just my 2 cents....

17. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I purchased a WT-46807 about three weeks ago, and haven't regretted it for a second. After some minor picture adjustments and a red push attenuator, DVDs look absolutely amazing.
    I looked at the Toshiba 40H80 but the screen size was just so small that it wouldn't have been a worthwhile upgrade from the 32" Panasonic TV I was previously using...

18. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Hey a projector would be awesome but the room I have is a "Family Room" not a dedicated HT as well as the practicality of a projector just is not workable for me not way to mount etc. So RPTV was my only option.
    Maybe down the road if we do the upgrade the house like we plan than a projector will definitely the way to go.
    Greg

19. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Well fellas ITS HERE!!!!
    SHe is all setup and has nice pic on it.
    I have not had a chance to calibrate anything yet but will be spending the day doing that tommorrow but I must say DVDs never looked so good!!!!!
    I had never had the opportunity to use the component out on my 560 and man what a difference. I picked up Big Trouble today and am just stoked at how clean and crisp it is now with no calibration and no progressive!!
    I must say that there is some "red push" but to me its hardly noticeable but I have an a fix on the way as I type. I will say one thing though and that is that cable and sattelite are truly sh*t compared to DVDS. I mean I never realized how crappy the picture was on cable until I got this set. Sattelite is much better but you can still see grainy pics and fuzziness. Ahh but who cares its really for DVDs and HDTV programming anyway.
    Also I was worried about having to get used to watching regular TV in stretch mode or whatever its called but I can tell you I think I have only viewed about 30 mins of it and I am already used to it.
    Ron no worries mate when you get that baby in tommorrow and see that first DVD on it you just might wet your shorts. All I can say is be sure to get your beer, popcorn and remote ready because you are in for a nice weekend of serious DVD watchin'(at least I am). Just be sure to do what others have said first though and fix that contast as that thing is set all the way to the top on every input.
    Thanks for all the help fellas and I will continue to add to my impression of the set after I get it all calibrated with AVIA and and watch a few more movies.
    Greg Shanes
    HT addict