45tx question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken_Chengr, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Ken_Chengr

Ken_Chengr Extra

I just purchased a floor model 45tx for $375 and I have a question. The manufacture date is July 2002 and I've seen reports of an upgrade to cure a shutdown problem. Should I pursue it with Pioneer?

Who know's maybe they'll give me a 55tx:b

Ken

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ken, I wouldn't do anything unless you actually do have a shutdown problem, which will only occur with some inefficient 4 ohm speakers. Mine's got an Aug. 02 mfg date and has been driving 7 8-ohm speakers for over 2 years with nary a problem. The shutdowns were due to oversensitive protection circuits. The manual states not to use speakers with an impedance less than 6 ohms anyway, and very few people who didn't have 4 ohm or defective speakers had a shutdown problem.

With 4 8-ohm and 1 6-ohm you shouldn't have a problem, but if one does crop up I think Pioneer would modify your protection circuit without any hassle.

Let us know how this beast works out for ya once you get it up and running.

3. Joshua H

Joshua H Stunt Coordinator

Wow Ken, you just made me feel like a sucker. Six hours ago I bought a floor model 45TX for $780... talked down from a posted $900. I thought I had scored a victory there [​IMG]

Anyways, I have 15 days where I can return it if desired. I'm seeing the 53TX around the internet, albeit unauthorized, for the $700 range. Can anyone tell me the differences between these 2 models? Pioneer's website is less than informative as to the benefits of the new model. God knows the salesman had no idea. (Not to mention, when I asked how the Pioneer's power levels hold up driving all channels at once compared to the Yammie or Denon... he staunchly defended the manufacturer ratings as the bottom line, scientific and absolute. I mean he really responded like I was trying to convince him that pigs fly.)

I was going to start a new thread when I saw one already aptly titled "45tx question." If I'm hijacking, mods, please lmk and I'll start a new thread/del this post.

Thanks,
    -Josh

4. Ken_Chengr

Ken_Chengr Extra

Joshua,
    You're not hijacking if you ask me.

I have 30 days to decide if I'll keep it. So far so good. The first film was Wizard of Oz. My 6 & 9 year old loved it!

I spoke to Pioneer about a preemptive update. The rep said she had never heard of a problem with the 45tx. She knew about the upgrade for the 49tx, so she wasn't without some experience. I think I'll forget about it and see how it works out.

As I read the manual, the 45tx does not have an audio delay feature. Is that correct?

5. Joshua H

Delay is set when you run the auto-setup (MCACC or whatever). Thats why it calculates the distances of all the speakers to the listening position. Page 99 of the manual has instructions for setting it manually.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ken,
    If you're referring to an audio delay feature to compensate for poor audio/video synchronization issues, as have occurred with some of the Samsung dlp television sets, the 45tx does not have this feature. For reasons relating to the time it takes for these sets to process video from the analog to the digital domain from analog inputs and the set's internal ntsc tuners, there is sometimes a noticeable lag between audio and video. Audio delay in this context would slightly delay the sound so it could be more in synch with the picture. Samsung has supposedly addressed this issue in the latest iterations of it's dlp sets.

As Joshua has stated, the 45tx will automatically set individual speaker delays to account for distances of speakers from your listening position. This delay (or distance) setting is a feature of any DD or even Pro-Logic decoder. On most it's done manually with differing degrees of difficulty depending on the receiver's user interface. The 45tx does it automatically and with a good degree of accuracy, though it does tend to set the sub distance "wrong" in my setup. I think this is actually an attempt on the part of the receiver to compensate for the standing wave characteristics of very low bass. I know that if I manually change sub distance to the actual distance and not the one set by MCACC the sound suffers.

7. Joshua H

Another note is that when it ran the auto setup for me, the speakers (JBL S-38) were set to large, I manually changed them to small. A little more poking around found the crossover at 100Hz by default... per my own preferences I changed this to 80.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Joshua,

The 45tx will set just about anything other than tiny sat. speakers like the Energy Take series to "large." From what I've read about the new Denon 3805 and the Yamahas with auto calibration they do the same thing. Like you, I manually set mine to "small".

9. Ken_Chengr

Ken_Chengr Extra

So far I LOVE this unit. The sound is full and clear. I haven't really put it through it's paces for HT yet, but CD's are great. It makes my ELT sing, as well as can be expected for small bookshelves. I smile everytime I turn it on and think about the fact that I got the 45tx and the ELT for $1100[​IMG]

I haven't run the auto config, because I didn't get the mic, but I went through and manually set everything but the EQ. Changing to "small" definately improved the sound. I've ordered one from Pioneed, but do I need that specific mic?

Thanks to everyone at HTF, for all of your advice, information and patience.

10. Bach

Bach Auditioning

Well according to Pioneer, that mic is suppose to be calibrated for use with their products. Using a mic from some other manufacturer will screw up the auto config.

11. Ken_Chengr

Ken_Chengr Extra

Well, I've run into a problem with the 45tx. Twice I've noticed that turning up the volume knob, results in erratic up/down of volume, but generally the volume goes down. Was this a problem with the 45tx? The store will repair/replace the unit, but I thought I'd check here for advice.

They estimate 3-4 weeks! I can't bear to part with it for that long[​IMG]

12. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Wow this must be the month to get 45tx's (more than 375 less than 780). I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. I love it. I haven't had the dial problem, but I normally use the remote for volume.

[​IMG]

But I'm just stuck on what type of speakers to use.

I too love the unit. Only down side is that I broke my remote the first week, So now I'm using a 43tx remote.