45TX or VSX-D912S + Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm currently upgrading my speakers to Paradigm 3SE MK3 mains/center, Titan Surrounds, and Atom back surrounds. I'm planning on upgrading my receiver this summer (from a Denon 1803). I've been rolling a few different ideas around in my head.

Option 1: Pioneer Elite 45TX or 43TX. For under $900 i would have a proven receiver w/ 7 channels of solid amplification and high quality processing. Other similar options would be an HK 525, Denon 2803, or used 3801/3802. I favor the 45TX because of the Auto-MCACC.

Option 2: Pioneer VSX-D912S and External amps. For about the same I could get essentially an upgraded D811S w/ the addition of Auto MCACC. I could also get a solid 3ch or 5ch amp that would provide more (and probably better) power than the receivers i mentioned, and would last through several futures receivers/pre-pros. I think this option would sound better, and leave more room for future upgrades due to sound format changes. I'll still have Auto MCACC. My only concern is that the D912S's processing won't match that of a higher end receiver, but I still think the D912S and good amps would outperform a any of the receivers i mentioned earlier.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think the better processing in the VSX45TX will give you an overall better sound than the 912+external amp.

I doubt if you'll find you need external amplification with the 45tx, especially if you don't insist on running your mains as large. I'd go with the better processing and add external amp to the 45tx if you find you really need it, which I seriously doubt.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

What about a used 3801 w/ amps for the mains?