45ft in wall front speaker wire recomendations. 10-12awg, next step up from carol. ??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Todd smith, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I need to do 3-45ft front speaker wire runs in wall to my front 3 speakers. I would like to go atleast a step up from Carol which is what I have now. I would like 10-12awg. What are some choices to look at?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    12AWG should be plenty for an 8Ohm speaker over 50ft. 10 AWG gets a little tough to run if you have to make a lot of bends, and you have to make sure your connectors or speaker terminals will accept that size wire too. Why would you need something better than Carrol? Wire is really one of the smallest changes you could make in your system, so I wouldn't worry much about looking for big improvements here.

3. Todd smith

Thanks for the help John. I like the carol for my surrounds, but not for the main front 3 speaks. I want something rated in wall that is similar (as good or better) to the fine stranded sound king wire. I am moving my equip rack to the rear of the room to accomodate a pj and I have to run the front wire behind the base board if I do this in 50ft runs. I will stick with 12awg since it sounds like that will be sufficient for 45ft runs. But I want a finer in wall 12awg wire for front 3 speaks. Any thoughts?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I know a lot of people frown on the fancy stuff, but if you are looking for good wire, Audioquest makes some great stuff. I forgot to mention it in my previous post. I've used a variety of them and they are quality products (all my interconnects are from them too).

You might also just look to someone like Bluejeans who can make you some custom length cables with quality wire.

5. Todd smith

I have not heard of audioquest, I will check them out. I have a bj component cable that is great and will check them out as well too. That is a good idea.