44.1kHz vs 88.2kHz remaster mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 8, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone with experience doing an A/B on the 44.1 and the remastered 88.2 tell me if the difference between the 2 are significant or whether it is worthwhile to pay more for a player that does that? I'm just wondering how it can sound better if the information was not there in the first place.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

what are you talking about?
    DVD-Audio or SACD releases from analog sources or some sort of up-conversion from 44.1 sampled signals?
    -dave

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David,
    I assume Donovan is referring to the "Remaster" function on the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. In addition, I believe the newer Panasonic DVD-RP91 offers this too. The features presumably upsamples CDs from 44.1 to 88.2 kHz.
    Donovan,
    First, welcome to the Forum! I have the Technics DVD-A10 and have only very briefly used the Remaster function. I don't feel that CD playback is one of the 'A10 stronger suits, so I haven't used it in this capacity too much. I only bought the 'A10 for the DVD-Audio, as I am happy with my DVD-Video player for movies. Anyway, in limited testing, I did not experience much of a benefit using the Remaster mode. Once again, I did not play with it much to draw any hard and fast conclusions. The difficult thing about switching back and forth between normal playback and the Remaster mode is that you have to go through a set-up menu, which takes time. That makes a good A/B comparison difficult.
    The vast majority of the magazine reviews I read said that the Remaster mode adversely affected the sound presentation. The recommendation, therefore, was that the Remaster function should be turned off when playing CDs. In the end, you should test it out to gauge your preferences.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about not being clear enough in my first post. But Keith is right. I was referring to the CD-audio remaster or upsampling feature that players like the RP91 and A10 have.
    I would really be nice to know if anyone has played with this feature enough to definitively say whichever one is better or whether paying additional dollar for that is worthwhile.

5. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Donovan,
    I have the DVD-A10 along with a Denon 3801 and attempted to use the remaster feature. I have been asking myself the same question about the difference. I thought that I heard a difference, but wasn't sure.
    Yesterday, I read a post here about the resampling feature only working if you have the analog outs connected to your receiver/pre-amp. You won't hear a difference apparently if you are using the digital outputs of the A10. It seems that most (all previous Denon I believe, not sure about 5800 and the new xx02 series) consumer grade receivers won't "lock" onto an 88.2 signal. They will "see" 96khz, and that's what they were designed for.
    So needless to say I'm now anxious to re-configure my A10 with the analog outs connected when listening to cds.
    Chris

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Donovan,
    I have the RP91 hooked up to my Denon 5800 and I have tried the remaster mode (analog outputs of the RP91) and I can't really say that I heard much of a difference. The bigger difference is when you play something of a higher resolution like a DVD-A. Now that's a pronounced difference.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, you have to use the analog outputs on the 'A10 to use the Remaster function. Make sure you engage the analog bypass mode on your '3801 if you decide to give it a try. Otherwise, your receiver will route the incoming analog signals through its A/D and D/A converters.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

8. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I would not base a buy or no buy decision on this feature. Let's just say with the RP-91 just about anyway you set it up it plays the CDs, DVD-A, or DVDs better than your average unit. I set up my RP-91 up with digital output only, PCM to no so music is not altered, and remaster on in the action menu only. I tried other set ups but this gives me the best sound even though supposedly my AVR-5800 cannot handle the 88.2 kHz output. Good luck!!
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------