43" Hitachi HDTV rear projection

Discussion in 'Displays' started by grantG, Jan 5, 2006.

1. grantG

grantG Agent

I was looking at picking up a used Hitachi HD rear projection TV, model #43uwx10b.

I currently have a satelite signal but do not plan on upgrading to HD at this time. Will I be disappointed watching non-HD satelite tv with this set?

Or will the digital quality of satellite give me the same quality picture as a good CRT tv set? Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

That size is small enough, really up to about 46" where NTSC (Standard Def Material) really still looks pretty good to me. I don't think you will have any issues with it at all.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I owned the 53" version of this set for 3 very frustrating weeks back in the fall of '01. The dark end of the grayscale was decidedly green tinted, which I could not correct, and the fleshtones were horrible.

This set suffered severely from a phenomenon I'd call "clayface" when fed anything less than a true HD picture--My SD DirecTv and cable were virtually unwatchable, faces looked like clay--monotone with no variation in fleshtone--almost cartoon like.

After 3 weeks of torture with this crappy set I swapped for a Sony KP57HW40, a truly excellent crt based rptv that I still own and am quite happy with.

I wouldn't touch a UWX10B series Hitachi with a 10 foot pole.