1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

43" Hitachi HDTV rear projection

Discussion in 'Displays' started by grantG, Jan 5, 2006.

1. grantG

grantG Agent

I was looking at picking up a used Hitachi HD rear projection TV, model #43uwx10b.

I currently have a satelite signal but do not plan on upgrading to HD at this time. Will I be disappointed watching non-HD satelite tv with this set?

Or will the digital quality of satellite give me the same quality picture as a good CRT tv set? Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

That size is small enough, really up to about 46" where NTSC (Standard Def Material) really still looks pretty good to me. I don't think you will have any issues with it at all.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I owned the 53" version of this set for 3 very frustrating weeks back in the fall of '01. The dark end of the grayscale was decidedly green tinted, which I could not correct, and the fleshtones were horrible.

This set suffered severely from a phenomenon I'd call "clayface" when fed anything less than a true HD picture--My SD DirecTv and cable were virtually unwatchable, faces looked like clay--monotone with no variation in fleshtone--almost cartoon like.

After 3 weeks of torture with this crappy set I swapped for a Sony KP57HW40, a truly excellent crt based rptv that I still own and am quite happy with.

I wouldn't touch a UWX10B series Hitachi with a 10 foot pole.