42nd STREET - How's it look?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardoHP, Mar 21, 2003.

1. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I watched 42nd STREET on TCM last night and was blown away by the crisp, clean, ultrasharp print. Can anyone tell me if that's the same transfer that's on the DVD, or just tell me how it looks? Thanks.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The DVD is just as good as the TCM print, likely. DVDAngle gave the DVD a great review.

IMO, all of Warner's B&W DVDs usually look nothing short of fantastic.

3. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

The DVD looks very good. Even if the TCM print was great, the lower resolution (DISH) or lower bitrate (DISH, DIRECTV) or both (CABLE) means you'll really like the DVD, because it will look even better.

4. Mitch Kaufman

"42nd Street" is the greatest DVD of a vintage b&w film I've seen--to my eyes, it's far superior to the later, more ballyhooed Lowry jobs like "Citizen Kane" and "Now, Voyager," in which the grain-removal machine was ratcheted all the way up.

This one is an honest, natural, simply gorgeous transfer, from what looks to be pristine source material (as they in fact claim on the jacket). It also has exemplary black level throughout, something I can't say about most of those later Warner discs.

Before WB goes and tweaks the life out of any more old black-and-white films, they need to go back and look at something like "42nd Street," which visually ranks with--and I believe surpasses--even the best of Criterion (e.g., Rebecca, My Man Godfrey, Spellbound). Even the soundtrack is presented directly and un-messed-with. There is no better-looking and -sounding disc of a '30s-era film anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.

How's that for an endorsement? [​IMG]

MK

5. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    You seem to be talking about what I saw last night on TCM, Mitch. Not only did the blacks and whites look deep and pure (there was a shimmering silver sequins dress that blew my mind), but all the greys looked rich and detailed as well.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I concur 42nd Street is close in quality with the best Criterion transfers and is superior to anything else I've seen from the 30's.