42" Displays...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Svensson, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Chris Svensson

Chris Svensson Auditioning

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 42" HD display that they particularly like? I just bought a new house and it has this damn media center built into the wall and I think the largest display I can accomodate is about 42" based upon some rough measurements I took from sets at Frys Electronics. The actual space reserved for the display is 48" wide, 36" high and 34" deep.

If there's a larger display someone knows that would fit in a space that size (say like a 46" or 50"), let me know. A lot of it seems to be dependent upon the cabinet size of the display.

My 55" is now in my already cramped master bedroom and I have my old 27" trinitron sitting in my living room until I can figure out what the hell to replace it with.

The display will be used for TV (DirectTV HD), DVD and videogames. Videogames in particular are important given that I work in the industry. I've heard of some sets having problems recognizing 720p signals from an Xbox and it's important to me to not have issues with that.

Thanks very much for your input.

2. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Stay away from the Toshiba 42H83. I would look at Mitsubishi. I think they make a 42'' model that is supposed to be pretty good.

3. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

One of the great things about plasmas is the width and height of the cabinet for a given screen size. This 50" Panasonic plasma will fit your space. But as you probably know, plasmas are expensive and have other issues as well. About a week ago there was a thread discussing their benefits and drawbacks. Do a search and you'll probably find it.

Edit: fix typo...

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I 50" dlp or lcd may fit, and I'm sure there is a 46" sammy that would fit.

why do you say to stay away from the 42" toshy? that was the set I was going to get before I decided to go 51", but it seemed like a very good candidate (mits isn't available here mind you) [​IMG]

5. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Yeah whats wrong with the toshiba 42h83? I was planning to go shopping around sunday for the 51" Toshiba. I thought it seemed most are happy with the 46" one and the 51" version would be perfect for me. All the features I want and the size will juusst fit where I want to put it.

6. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I own the Mitsubishi 42" widescreen and love it! I have an entertainment center that the TV needed to fit in and the Mitsubishi was the largest RPTV that would fit (LCD, DLP and Plasma are too expensive for me). Here are some pictures of the transformation.

David

7. Chris Svensson

Chris Svensson Auditioning

Thanks much for the feedback. That 50" Panny plasma is beautiful (we have one at work) and I'll check the dimensions to see if it fits. Barring that, I'll probably go for a Sammy DLP. I didn't know there was a 46" which may well do the job.

8. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

here's the link to it
    http://www.samsung.ca/cgi-bin/naseca...HLN467WX%2fXAC
    you may have a hard time finding them, only one retailer in my city carries them (that I've seen so far). Here they are coming with the Samsung HD (upconverting) DVD player with DVI out