40H80 Theater Wide1 Vs. Full width

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wesson, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Ryan Wesson

Ryan Wesson Auditioning

I have converged all the screen modes on my 40H80 with the Toshiba grids. The picture looks fantastic with DVD as well some DBS content. Anyways, I noticed the other day while watching an anamorphic dvd (I do not recall the title) that if I put the tv in Theater Wide 1 I was able to see more of the horizontal picture. Full seems to be chopping of a little portion of the sides. Although with it in Theater Wide 1, the anamorphic picture was all squished as you would expect. I can reproduce it with any anamorphic DVD. Is the overscan supposed to be like that even after using the grids to converge, or do I have some other problem? Full is almost 5% on the sides Theater Wide 1 is about 3% to 3 1/2% according to Avia.
    [​IMG]

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I have noticed the same thing with my 50h81. Of course the full mode is the right one for anamorphic movies. I get my TV calibrated next week so I will see what happens.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

3. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ryan,
    3-5% isn't bad at all. Some folks get greater than 5% overscan(diff brands).
    You can adjust the overscan from the service menu or if you have an htpc, you can just do it using yxy.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site
    [Edited last by errol on September 24, 2001 at 11:49 AM]