What's new

40H80 problems (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I got a Toshiba 40H80 back in December. It has worked well until last week when it shut off for no reason and the red light was flashing. When the set powers up the red on the right is always off and converges after a while but never dead on. The blue also drifts. This has not been horrible but I thought convegence would hold better than it has.
Now it seems to be fine for about an hour then it can shut off for the following reasons; changing a channel, changing inputs or turning off my dvd player. It also does not shut off everytime I do the above, only sometimes. I am calling a serviceman but after the experience I had with one to fix my geometry I was looking for some advice...
thanks

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
The geometry should be fixable (to a certain degree) by performing a service-mode convergence. That being said, I was never able to get horizontal lines perfectly straight on the screen edges with any of the four Toshiba TN55X81s I had, so either red or blue was always bleeding a bit on the edges.
It's completely normal for convergence to drift while the set warms up...in fact, I'd highly suggest leaving your set on for at least an hour before you try to adjust the convergence. However, on the last two Toshibas I had, the convergence would drift even after the set had warmed up for more than an hour. It turned out that the convergence boards had gone bad (in both sets), but after replacing the first set with this problem and being unable to get the parts for the second set, I finally got a refund. In your case, however, I think you just need to let the set warm-up.
As for the TV spontaneously powering off...well, I think you'll have to call in a tech for that problem.
frown.gif

------------------
Check out my HT pics and my DVD list !
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I'll call a tech and see what they say. I can hear it now "all the new tvs do that, it's one of the features"
Thanks for your help

If your set is turning off by itself, you definitely have a problem that requires service. Are you sure your next door neighbor doesn't have the same set? It's remotely possible your set is responding to someone else's remote key presses. (unlikely, but possible under the right conditions)
Have you tried adjusting the PARA and CNR controls in the service menu to correct the line bending? And does this happen in all picture modes? (TW1, TW2, Full, etc., all have different convergence memories)
Let us know what you find out. I hope your "factory authorized Toshiba technician" is a little more knowledgeable than mine. My tech was real handy with a soldering iron but didn't really know squat specifically about my Toshiba TW56x81.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
The bending happens in all modes but it's worse on full, the one I value most also. I called the store where I bought it and told them about the last tech I had. They said to call Toshiba Canada and ask because most have not seen a high-def set yet.
I called back in January hopping to get a free geometry and convergence fix up. Instead I got a guy who didn't even know how to get into the service mode. I wanted to tell him but he eventually got it. He did convergence but the geometry was all wavy and he said that was the best you could hope for.

That's pretty standard for Toshiba techs, in my experience. I had the green crt replaced in my set when it was only 4 months old. The technician (after totally screwing up my gray scale by messing with the screen vr trimpots) installed the crt and I asked him about focusing. He said you could only focus at the focus block (electrostatic focus), not at the crt. Idiot. He then proceeded to adjust my gray scale BY EYE using ONLY the screen vr trimpots. I knew he knew how to get into the service menu because he used the service convergence grid to adjust the electrostatic focus. But oddly enough, he did all his convergence adjustments in the USER convergence menu (meant more work for me to clean up afterwards) When I had my set ISF'd, I also found that he didn't center the crt properly, nor do the astigmatism adjustments necessary.
My advice is to watch your technician the entire time he's near your unit. If it looks like he's going to mess with something that he doesn't know anything about, try to stop him. In my book, factory technicians are good for replacing hardware and that's about it. Leave the fine tuning to a professional calibrationist or do it yourself. You're asking for trouble if you expect a Toshiba factory-authorized technician to make your picture look any better than it does now.
Have another technician look at the set and try to determine if there's a hardware failure that he can easily replace. If he can't find anything, try to get a replacement out of Toshiba. It took me three months to get my set looking the way it should after my Toshiba repair experience!

JasonZ

Agent
hey,
that thing about your tv turning itself off was dealt with a few weeks back in a thread here. some guy had toshiba out to his place like 5 times to fix it. there are detailed instructions for fixing it if you cna find the thread.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice. I'll update the thread when I find out what the problem is. Although it hasn't turned off in two days. If I can't replicate it when the tech is here I'm sure he'll just think I'm crazy :)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I left the tv on for awhile tonight. I began switching inputs while the dvd player(panasonic A310) was on. It shut off almost all of the time, especially when I turned a channel. I unplugged the component cables and the tv also shut off when I did that. I disconnected the dvd player and turned the channels and it shut off once or twice but not as much. This is the oddest problem. I am going to call the tech tomorrow. I wanted to have a way to replicate the problem.

Bill_M

Agent
I had a similar problem with my Toshiba. Turned out to be a bad solder spot. The repairman easily fixed it.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I had a tech come out tonight. If you live in Toronto then you want to call Dupont Electronics. This guy's english may not be the greatest, but he knows what he's doing. He thought that the convergence boards were shot so he put new ones in. Suprisingly, he actually had them with him. This improved the grid and the lines were all together.
However, during service level convergence he tried to get the blue to converge in the top left corner. Once it got to a certain point it jumped and the horizontal lines were bending up vertically. He said that he knows how to fix this but wanted to talk to someone at Toshiba first. He'll call later this week and fix it but he thinks that it may be a bad connection somewhere. He unplugged the blue CRT because it was making something on the boards overheat.
For now I can't use the tv but I really hope he can fix it. I would hate to have to argue with Toshiba for a new tv, on the other hand I obviously want to have a tv which works the way it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks