What's new

40H80 has faint vertical lines (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I got my 40H80 calibrated with VE. However now I notice two one inch faint vertical lines on some scenes. One is on the far left of the screen, but one is about a third out from the right side.
I remember reading about this problem a while back. Is there any fix for it? Is the problem only for interlaced material or progressive as well, can't test it because I don't have a player.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
probably if ya got progressive,i say the fault is in the line doubler
i like you have dealt with and suffered through this horrible problem of the faint vertical lines
but low and behold when i hooked up my christmas present,a pioneer dv-37,the majority of the lines were gone
i do still have 2 bars about 2 inches wide on the left hand side and are so hard to see they are not even worth mentioning,you can only see them on pans across stuff like white doors and a bright sky,i have heard many people say that these bars are to be blamed on interference,i have acoustic research component cables and are planning on buying a new set from bettercables.com i'd hope they would be gone with these,any body else have interference problems like this

BrianSC

Auditioning
Could be raster ringing. The Mits sets had a real problem with it and a fix was finally implemented. The Panasonic owners (of which I am one) are going through it now. Maybe the Toshibas have it to.
Problem actually had to do with intereference coming off of one of the wires within the set. The Mits fix (in the field) was to dress some wires away from a board and then wrap another in a ferrite bead.
Check out the Hometheaterspot.com under the Mits section and see if this is what you set has. You may also want to look at the Toshiba section.
Brian

Erik Welty

Auditioning
Hi Elliot,
I've got a 65H80 with a couple of similiar issues. I get a few faint light bars down the left side during dark scenes and a faint bar just left of center during extremely bright white scenes. The bars are becoming much less noticeable as the set burns in.
From my research on this and other forums, here's what I've found:
1. Toshiba puts some bars just outside the viewable portion of the CRTs to monitor phosphor output. The TV uses this to compensate for aging CRTs. Overscan or an off center picture can cause these bars to be visible on the left and right sides of the set.
2. I've read on this forum that the faint, more central, vertical line may be caused by line voltage variations from the supplied power. I added a UPS/line conditioner to my set and it had no effect on the line.
Fortunately, the problem appears to be easing as the set gets more hours on it. Also, I've got a Toshiba tech coming over and I hope that he can clear what remains of problem 1.
Other than these flaws, the set is amazing. The picture with DVD is stunning.
Regards,
Erik

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll wait and see if the lines diminish before I get too worried. I would call a service tech but after my first time with one last week, I think I'll just wait :)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Elliot,
I do believe this is raster ringing. I had it on my 40H80 before trading up for my Mits 55807. I also once had a 40X81 (last year's model) and it did not exhibit this.
Toshiba is currently silent on this, just as Mits was in the beginning... I can tell you Mits is a year ahead of everyone on this problem. There is a fix in place, but the majority of sets displaying the problem are in the xx5 line, not the newer xx7s. I was so concerned before I traded in that I spoke with a nationally-known ISF guy who said he had NEVER seen it on a xx7.
The good news... the Mits 55807 I have doesn't exhibit the problem. With the new H80 line from Tosh, I've heard it's touch and go... there on some, not there on others.
~Jamie

Will Munshower

Auditioning
Elliot,
I had the vertical line problem on the left side of the screen. There were anywhere from 4-7 of them. They were about one inch wide and grew progressively more faint, moving from left to right. The Toshiba techs were stumped. You could see this problem by looking into the blue gun. The lines were on the right side of the CRT. After three months, Toshbia finally agreed to replace my 40x81 with a 40h80. I received it today. No lines to speak of...Will

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
The problem isn't too bad, but it is annoying. I have the tv looking amazing now and it doesn't help to see this thick black line on dark scenes. U-571 had it a lot. I can't see it on cable too much, mostly because the signal is so bad anyway. As soon as I can get a prgressive scan player I will see but as far as calling the toshiba tech, I think I'll pass. The guy I had thought that the warping I saw from the poor geometry was fine and didn't even have the overlays or the service manual to check them. I won't even get started about his difficulty getting into the service mode :)

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
I notice this on my 40H80 and I think the problem is the component output on my DVD player (a Pionner DV414).
I have the DVD player connected to the TV via RG6 cables, so it might be the cables.
If I send the DVD to the S-video inputs, the problem seems to go away.
Brian

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I actually noticed the opposite. Component has the lines faintly. However everything else has the lines plus there is some sort of interference pattern going through the stripes as well. You can only see this if the contrast is up high. I would like to know why this problem exists and why Toshiba hasn't fixed it.

Steve_Lam

Auditioning
Hey, I also have faint vertical lines on my 40H80 as well. I've had it for a month. I only see them _only_ on the component input. The line that's most noticable is one that is about 1/3 the way in from the right hand side of the screen. I only notice it on the flat blue menu displays or in very black scenes when all room lights are off.
It seems to be something wrong with the component input processing circuits, changing the aspect ratio scales the vertical lines positions. Both component input sources have identical lines. I've also tried different component input sources (interlaced and progressive) as well, identical lines.
We have a 56H80 at work and it also has faint lines, but it's not as pronounced, comparitively very, very difficult to see.
Has anyone had sucess with a service tech to get rid of these lines, or is it a design bug in the TV?

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
A couple of points:
- to the original question. This definitely sounds like raster ringing. A large proportion of Toshiba sets suffer from this. The solution with the Mitsubishi line was simply to reroute some wires inside the set.
My advice? Bug Toshiba and keep bugging them. The more vocal their customers get about this (and I know a lot of them are out there with the problem) the sooner they are likely to do something.
- I have verified on our two store models (61 and 50-HX70 models) and my own 56H80, that several vertical lines appear in the right third of the screen when using an interlaced input. A progressive input will clear some of these lines up - but there are still more as a result of raster ringing.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have the same dreaded raster ringing. They occur on all inputs, and they move slightly in the different modes. The Toshiba Tech who came too look at it called it "Yoke Ringing". Anyway, he has no idea how to fix it, and it looks like Toshiba Canada won't touch the problem until Toshiba Japan acknowledges the problem and provides a method of fixing it. Good luck to us all.
frown.gif

Martin.

Marc_F

Auditioning
I believe I have the same problem on my new 65H80. I have a strip that goes from the top of the screen to the bottom that is a shade "lighter" in color. This strip is about 3 inches in width and is located about a third of the screen width from the right hand side. I only notice this on dark scenes. I am not sure if this only occurs with using the standard def. signal coming through S-Vid cable from the Dish6000 reciever or ocurs on all inputs.
Does this seem like the problem everyone else is experiencing? I first thought it was a reflection, then maybe something streaked on the screen but the strip moves accordingly when the picture size is changed.
If this is something different, then is there anything I can do to reduce/eliminate this problem?
The TV is about 3 weeks old so is not fully burned in, but I do not want to wait TOO long if something is indeed wrong.
Thanks in advance!
Marc

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I just had a tech out for a problem I've been having with my tv, see http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/007150.html
I asked him about the faint lines and he said there is no definitive fix for it but it is possible. He said that it takes a really long time of trial and error and that sometimes it actually is a design flaw. However he said he has been able to fix it but that would require a seperate service call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks