What's new

40h80 and rp91- kind of green??? (1 Viewer)

JasonZ

Agent
i received both of these units last week and i am beginning to notice that the picture looks especially green. i have been playing around with the settings but i cant seem to get things right. i have the contrast turned down past 40 and all of the other settings that were recommended. i have not done any avia/ve adjustments as per the instructions from chris white's site. i am also holding off on the 9 pt and 64 pt convergence. additionally, i will be manually disabling the svm (not sure that it matters).
it seems that when the screen goes completely black, there is a green tint to it. the green is especially strong in the bottom left corner of the screen. the picture overall looks rather green when watching dvd.
i dont think that it is the dvd player because i notice the green on the bottom right corner when watching cable also but it is not as obvious in the whole pic.
any input on this, any ideas on how to overcome it? do i have a defective unit? i would really appreciate your advice.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Jason:
This is a common complaint with the latest batch of TVs from Toshiba. More than likely this is a problem with the TV.
There are two solutions, one a "band-aid" and the other a more accurate fix. The "band-aid" is to reduce the GCUT value in the service mode until the green tint disappears. The accurate method is to get your TV's grayscale properly calibrated by a qualified technician.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jason, I've also found that you can increase BCUT a few ticks at the same time as lowering GCUT a few ticks. I had the same "too green" in the dark end of the grayscale with my Toshiba 27 inch direct view. Without a proper grayscale calibration and any equipment, the best thing to do is get Avia/VE and bring up the stepped grayscale pattern (the one that shows vertical bands from 10 - 100 IRE) in your normal movie watching environment - e.g. lights dimmed, etc. Look at the 20 or 30 IRE band and see if it has a light green/lime-like tint to it. Lower GCUT and raise BCUT one notch at a time until it looks like the band is changing to a more neutral gray. If you lower GCUT too far, you'll begin to see it change to a purple color as red becomes too dominant. If you raise, BCUT too much, it'll take on a blueish-gray tint. You'll need to play with this to get the right amount. It may be that all you need to do is increase BCUT a few notches. This is about the best you can do without using any references and getting the set properly calibrated.
good luck,
--tom

JasonZ

Agent
thanks for the help...
i have found instructions on getting into the service mode but i do not know how to get to the specific parameters that you mention. could someone direct me to a link that could better explain this.
also, do you think i should just return the set and get a different one?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jason, it depends on how severe the problem is. Personally, I went back and looked at other Toshiba sets at Best Buy after noticing I had a problem with green. Once my eyes had tuned into it, I noticed the same effect on all their 32 inch A series sets I looked at. I also noticed it on the 40H80, they had. Some people's eyes are more sensitive to certain colors than others. So, I guess what I'd recommend is taking a look at other 40H80s and seeing if you see a greenish tint in the same dark scenes, etc. If you don't see it then it may be worth getting yours replaced.
I think most people here would recommend that you get the 40H80 ISF calibrated. For me, the cost of such a thing would match the cost of the 27 inch tv. :)
Oh as for entering the service mode, I am not familiar with the 40H80's service mode and parameters. On my Toshiba direct view, once into the service mode (S on the upper right of the screen), one hits the Menu button on the tv console (not the remote) and enters the parameter changing mode. When I do this, the grayscale tracking parameters are the first ones in the list, a list you cycle through by using the up and down keys on the remote (left/right arrow keys are used for changing the values). To exit service mode completely, shut the tv off via the Power switch on the tv. I believe other people here should be able to help you further with the 40H80's service mode and perhaps even give you a pointer to its service manual.
good luck,
--tom

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
This might be a completely different problem, but I've had one RP91 come back with a problem in the de-interlacer circuitry. With progressive scan on, the initial 'DVD' screen (when in stop mode or with no DVD inserted' has a green (sometimes blue/violet) background. When playing a DVD it looked mostly okay, but would flash green from time to time. The player worked fine with the progressive scan off.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

JasonZ

Agent
hi,
this problem is actually getting worse every day. when i first got the tv last week it wasn't there at all and every day it seems to get a bit worse. i will try to get into the service mode tonight and lower the green as prescribed. i do not think it is the dvd player b/c when watching cable i can see the green on the left hand side of the screen when the sceen goes black (like when credits roll). i really hope i can straighten this out. i will follow up tonight or tomorrow. thanks!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jason, if you're just seeing the green mostly on one side (left or right) then this may be a CRT issue and not a grayscale issue. Color variation on the sides of RPTVs apparently is a common problem/occurrence (red-shifted on the right for example and then another color on the left). You may want to search the archives here and get advice from the RPTV experts.
good luck,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks