$4000 to spend, what to get?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Josh Duve, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Josh Duve

Josh Duve Extra

A friend of mine wants to spend $4k on his whole system and I am trying to help him out.

I have chosen a monitor already (Sony KF42WE610 @ $2500), but still need the Rec'v, DVD and speakers.

That leaves $1500, not a lot, that's why I am here. Should I go with a combo unit? Sony dream system maybe?

Any suggestions?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I moved your post here because you're asking for brand-specific help and you seem to want info on source components or an HTiB. The Basics area is for asking questions about the very essentials ("What's a receiver?"). Good luck.

3. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

I think that might be a little tight, at least to balance out the monitor. you could probably swing a lower denon, 1803-4 or such, maybe some paradigms around... maybe wait a little on the sub (cant believe i said that) and see what youve got left for the dvd player... which wont be much if you guess $500 AVR + $650 on the front left, right center and 2 surrounds, and maybe a quick $400-$450 on the dvd player... maybe you could find a deal on an ELITE or match up with the denon and use Crutchfields Clearence deal on the 1600 at $329.... this is all without tax of course, so with youll end (if spenging a full 5 on the dvd player) just at budget, becasue i hope when your freind says $4000 he means $4300 or so.

The only reason i said to go with paradigm is because when i first started in on this whole trhing my brother in law had a whole studio set and convinced me that on a budget they will out perform anything at the same price and a bunch of speakers above it.

You might want to think about coming down on the TV a bit. You should easily be able to find another 3-400 bucks there.

Oh... and i almost forgot
    CABLES
    figure another $4-500 on cables.

i would definitley look on going down on the TV.
    I just bought a Hitachi 46F500 a few months ago, and got it for under $1400 (new of course) from a local chain appliance store and have had no complaints, and i went from a 30 wide Samsung -- 34 XBR -- 40 XBR -- 43 Mits -- to my Hitachi... that was chaotic, but i love the size, its great.

Tell your freind to be patient, and allow yourself about a month, dont rush. If he gets all this stuff and starts getting really into HT and finds better products at price, you will have pissed him off $4000 worth.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Given that budget I would split it up about $500 for a receiver, $150 for DVD, and $950 for speakers/sub.

From there, my personal recomendations woule be a Pioneer Elite 43TX receiver, Liteon LD2001 Scaling DVD Player, JBL S38 mains, S Center, S26 surrounds, and an Adire Rava subwoofer. Would definitely stretch the budget tight and might break after shipping, but wouldn't be a real compromise in any component and an overall very balanced system. This system would absolutely destroy a sony Dreamsystem. I would usually reccomend a higher speaker/sub to receiver ratio, but between what's available for $300 and what's available for $500 there's not much AND there's a big leap in performance. Also leaves 7.1 open as an inexpensive ($150 for another pair of S26s) future upgrade option.

The receiver, speakers, and DVD can all be found online by using shopping.yahoo.com or froogle.google.com . The subwoofer would be purchased directly from www.adireaudio.com .

One other option would be the $1299 Onix ELT / Denon 1804 package from www.av123.com, which comes w/ the ELT 5.1 speaker sub system and a Denon 1804 6.1 receiver. You would add the DVD of your choice (still reccomend the Liteon LD2001). I'm not sure if anyone has compared the ELT to a JBL Studio setup, it would be interesting indeed. The internet direct route can lead to great price/performance ratio, but since the JBL studio series is being deeply discounted after being discontinued, i'm not sure which is the better deal.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. JohnSterling

JohnSterling Stunt Coordinator

Just my 2 cents on Adire....

I own several drivers designed by Adire and a few years ago...when they were much smaller....I even built some custom sub cabinets for them for a few months.

The owners both REALLY know their stuff and are also very high-quality people. Adire Audio is a great little company. You're not going to go wrong with their products.

Also...just something to throw out...and I'm no RPTV expert...but Costco has been selling a 65" Pioneer HDTV for $2000 now for a while. Have you checked that out?

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

For $2500 I would get a RPTV. If he really really has to have a direct view set I would get a 36" 4:3 HD set like the Sony 36HS510. Almost the same size 16:9 picture as the 34" widescreen set and a lot cheaper.

Mark

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

For $1,500 I would pick up a Denon 1600 progressive scan DVD player (can be found for around $300 from places like Churchfield). This has the best deinterlacing chip that is being produced. The DVD player has gone out of production, but it has a better picture than its replacement.

Hop over to AV123 and check out the
    Rocket ELT system. It is $900 and they will sell it with a Denon 1804 receiver for $1,250.

Only slightly over your friends budget. I’ve heard this system and it is produces very fine HT sound. Plus the cabinetwork is first class—the best I’ve seen in this price range.

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I would get a cheaper TV myself to save some money...You can get bigger rptvs for almost 1000 less...

without looking hard, i found this...

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_18846.htm

however, if you are keen on keeping that TV, I would say for $1500, I would buy refurbed stuff...

you can go here, to buy factory direct

http://harmanaudio.com/search_browse...?sp=S&brand=HK

I would as look at their ebay auctions, you can get it cheaper and directly from harman on their own ebay auctions...

I would go less than $400, which means targeting a 325, a 520 or even a 225,

I would then buy an Onkyo 301 for $130

So will call that $500, giving you $1000 for speakers...

I would then go to dmc-electronics.com and see if the guy would sell me a set of OSB speakers consisting of a pair of 4T, a Subsonic 5, an 8C and a pair of 1B for $1000, he has them on there for $1090 or so...

If I had an additional $700 or so from saving money on the monitor, i would get the 6T, the subsonic 6 and the 9c over the others...and then try to move up to the 3LRs....

Rich

9. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Ditto... I'm always amazed when someone throws a serious 4-figures at a TV, and then tacks on the audio for $300... but that's me... I prefer music to movies.

Here's another good refurb place: http://www.accessories4less.com/ ... lotsa good makes: Marantz, Adcom, NHT, Canton, AR, Mordaunt-Short.

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    here is how I would split the budget.

Reciever $500
    DVD $300
    Cables $200
    sub $500
    speakers $800
    tv $1700

go for a good sub and smaller bookshelf speakers. spend less on your rptv. you can pick up a good 50" for $2k or less.

11. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

If you did change the monitor to a conventional RPTV you could go MUCH larger AND you could really open things up as far as audio. You could pick up a Panasonic 53" RPTV (very popular RPTV on the HTF as of late) at CC or BB for between $1600 and $1700 (sometimes even less depending on sales). That would open up $2300 for receiver, speakers, sub, and DVD. In this range I would go with Swan's Diva 5.2 mains, C3 center, and 2.1 surrounds, all from www.theaudioinsider.com and in black cherry finish for around $1300 for the package (contact them by phone and haggle a little, they'll usually lower the price so it works out to free shipping). I would still go w/ a 43TX receiver for around $500 (online, ebay, audiogon) and the Liteon 2001 scaling DVD player for $137 from Dell. For the sub I would go w/ either an Adire Rava or AV12/Rythmik DIY sub if DIY is an option.

This would be right at the $4000 price range but in my opinon be a MUCH better option. The audio would be several steps up from anything else metioned (the PSB stuff would be close) and you would have a much bigger screen w/ just as good of a picture once properly calibrated. If the 42" screen is all you have room for, look at some of the 42" tabletop RPTVs (Hitachi, Toshiba, Mitsubishi) in the $1400 price range, which would free up enough $$ for an entry level SVS sub. The LCD won't really save THAT much space (4-6") and it's still a first generation technology which means you're paying more to be an early adapter.

I know this leaves you w/ more options than you came in with, but that's how advice goes some of the times [​IMG] goodluck w/ your decisions and have fun w/ it.

12. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Sorry for piling on the options, but I just stumled across a great deal that could open up a few more options for you. www.ecost.com has the Kenwood 6070 home theater receiver (THX cert, rated very highly by S&V) for $230 refurbished and free shipping. It's not quite a Pioneer Elite or HK, but it's a very solid receiver, would free up some more space in the budget, and would make a great pre-pro on down the road if your friend wanted to add seperate amplification. I even think there was a thread awhile back about using the 6070 as a prepro compared to higher end pre-pros and it performed VERY favorably.

This receiver, the 53" Panasonic RPTV, Liteon 2001 DVD, Swan's Diva 5.2 mains, C3 center, and 2.1 surrounds, and an SVS PB1 or 20-39 PCi would be EXTREMELY hard to beat for under $4k w/out going DIY.

If you require a smaller TV, substitute a Toshiba 42H83 (42" non-tabletop RPTV, $1400 @ BB), and you could move up to Swan's 6.1 mains, C3, and 2.1 surrounds, Kenwood 6070 receiver, Liteon 2001 DVD, and SVS PB1 or 20-39 PCi sub.

13. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

Where is Josh anyway?
    Did he get overwhelmed?

Sorry if your just hiding in the shadows Josh.

14. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I think the book i wrote in the last two posts scared him off! [​IMG]